1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Can a capacitor increase voltage beyond initial charge?

1. Mar 1, 2017 #1
    Question: If you charge a capacitor circuit and then separate the capacitor, does voltage increase beyond the initial source?

It seams counter intuitive that if you plug a 9 Volt battery into two metal plates and pull the plates apart that you'll get massive voltage spikes, but that's what the equations seem to point to...

You'll see a diagram of this attached,
    Thanks for your time!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why counter-intuitive ? You yourself already write you need to pull (i.e. do work) the plates apart.

The capacitance decreases, so, in accordance with Q = CV the voltage must increase if the charge remains the same.

By the way, the guy's name is 'van de Graaff'

4. Mar 1, 2017 #3
    Ohhhhhhhh I hadn't thought of that work being done... makes sense!

Can that lead to the voltage being HIGHER than the initial source? Or does it cap off at the voltage of the battery/van de GraAff?

Thanks again, blown away by that response time by the way!

5. Mar 1, 2017 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. Of course, you first have to disconnect the voltage source before starting to pull on the plates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted