Can a math major excel in physics research?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for someone to major in mathematics in college and then pursue a career in physics research. The examples of Richard Feynman, Enrico Fermi, and Stanislaw Ulam are mentioned as individuals who were initially focused on mathematics but later made significant contributions to the field of physics. Additionally, the option of pursuing an applied math program with a focus on physics is suggested as an alternative path.
tommyxu3
Hi, guys. I'm interested in so issues. Everyone says math provides a solid bedrock for physics, of course and other science. But does there really exist someone deciding to devote himself to physics research, but take the major in mathematics in college?
I have heard Feynman is in the major of math initially, but later transferred to physics for he was tired of the strict proof of math. Is there any other great physics figure whose major in college is also math instead of physics?
Thanks in advance for any opinions~

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure, but I know that Hillbert was a mathematician who also took an interest to physics.

I am more into pure math, but maybe look into applied math programs with an emphasis in physics. At the university I am going to attend, they offer : math, stats, applied math/ engineering, applied math/bio, and applied math/physics.

tommyxu3 said:
Hi, guys. I'm interested in so issues. Everyone says math provides a solid bedrock for physics, of course and other science. But does there really exist someone deciding to devote himself to physics research, but take the major in mathematics in college?
I have heard Feynman is in the major of math initially, but later transferred to physics for he was tired of the strict proof of math. Is there any other great physics figure whose major in college is also math instead of physics?
Thanks in advance for any opinions~
While Feynman undoubtedly was very talented mathematically (in fact he taught himself much college level math while still in high school), and his scores on various entrance exams and other tests bore out his talent, he enrolled at MIT as an undergrad physics major and then attended Princeton for graduate work.

http://www.feynman.com/stories/biography/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Feynman

Enrico Fermi was another young man who was very talented in math as a student, and he actually began his academic career in Italy as a math major before switching to study physics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enrico_Fermi

Stanislaw Ulam was educated and worked initially as a pure mathematician in Poland before WWII, later coming to America and being employed on the Manhattan Project. His greatest work came after the war was over and the race to build a hydrogen bomb got underway. Ulam is credited, along with Edward Teller, of conceiving of the means whereby a fusion explosion could be created. Now up to this time, Ulam's work had been focused on making calculations to support the design of the atomic bomb and later its thermonuclear brother, but the insights which Ulam provided reportedly involved deep knowledge of the physics, not just the mathematics, of thermonuclear reactions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislaw_Ulam
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislaw_Ulam

SteamKing said:
While Feynman undoubtedly was very talented mathematically (in fact he taught himself much college level math while still in high school), and his scores on various entrance exams and other tests bore out his talent, he enrolled at MIT as an undergrad physics major and then attended Princeton for graduate work.
Yes...I realized, and I didn't put so much emphasis on it before... Thanks for the reminder!

1. What is a math major before physics?

A math major before physics refers to a student who chooses to major in mathematics before pursuing a degree in physics. This means that the student will complete the requirements for a math major, and then move on to studying physics at the undergraduate or graduate level.

2. Why would someone choose to be a math major before physics?

There are a few reasons why someone might choose this path. One reason could be that they have a strong interest and aptitude for mathematics and want to build a strong foundation before studying physics, which heavily relies on mathematical concepts. Another reason could be that they want to explore different areas of mathematics before deciding on a specific subfield of physics to focus on.

3. Is it necessary to be a math major before studying physics?

No, it is not necessary to be a math major before studying physics. Many students enter a physics program without a math major and still do well. However, having a strong background in mathematics can be beneficial in understanding complex physics concepts and solving problems.

4. Are there any disadvantages to being a math major before physics?

One potential disadvantage could be that it may take longer to complete both degrees, as there may be overlap in coursework. Another disadvantage could be that a student may become too focused on mathematics and not have enough exposure to other fields within physics.

5. Can a math major before physics lead to a successful career?

Yes, a math major before physics can lead to a successful career in a variety of fields. Many employers value the problem-solving and analytical skills that are developed through a math major. Additionally, a strong foundation in mathematics can open up opportunities in fields such as data science, finance, and engineering, in addition to traditional physics-related careers.