Can a photon be made energetic enough to escape a black hole

In summary, the reason why a photon cannot escape a black hole is because at the event horizon, the future lightcones for all events inside never exit, due to the extreme spacetime curvature. This means that there is no direction that leads out of the black hole. The singularity is not a point in space, but an event in the future that all objects inside the black hole are bound to end up in. However, there are jets of emissions coming out of the black hole at the poles, which are created by the accretion of external matter and not actually escaping from the black hole itself. The gravity that pulls objects towards the event horizon is a result of the matter and energy inside the black hole. Despite some theories,
Leyzorek
why can't a photon escape a black hole? i think it is because the photon is red shifted away to nothing, if this is true, it would be possible to create a photon that would be energetic enough that a black hole would not have enough time to red shift it away to nothing, unless there is some theoretical limit on the energy a photon can have?
Since a photon cannot be slowed, an force doing this will just red shift it, it should be theoretically possible.
this brings me to another question, how can a photon be red shifted to nothing? as it is red shifted there will be less energy in the photon, so gravity would act on it less, it would be an exponential curve and would never reach 0. all this must b based on the assumption that we are launching this photon perfectly straight away from the black hole from within the event horizon so it cannot be bent, merely red shifted or decelerated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Leyzorek said:
why can't a photon escape a black hole? i think it is because the photon is red shifted away to nothing, if this is true
It is not true. Light cannot escape the black hole because the future lightcones for all events inside the event horizon never exit the event horizon. In turn, this is due to the spacetime curvature.

At the event horizon of a black hole, spacetime is warped in such a way that there is no out. Think about an object inside of a black hole, now point in any direction. What's in that direction if you went in a straight line? The singularity. Okay, now pick another direction. It still points to the singularity. Now point in the complete opposite direction, that must be pointing out right? Nope, still straight line shot into the singularity. There is no direction that you can travel that leads out.

Black holes can explode (theoretically) but it's not because of any extreme energy, it's simply from the uncertain nature of quantum mechanics than a photon may momentarily appear beyond the event horizon and escape.

Thank you, you have sufficiently destroyed my wrong theory

Likes stoomart
whatever direction you face will be towards the singularity, so if you threw something backwards and forwards at the same time would you actually be throwing them the same way?
And what would happen if (theoretically of course, there is no way to actually do this) you reached the center of the singularity?

Leyzorek said:
whatever direction you face will be towards the singularity, so if you threw something backwards and forwards at the same time would you actually be throwing them the same way?
No. The singularity is not a point in space. It is an event in the future, the point is that the future of any object in the black hole ends in the singularity.

Orodruin said:
No. The singularity is not a point in space. It is an event in the future, the point is that the future of any object in the black hole ends in the singularity.
so what you are seeing is actually the past? And if it only exists in the future and is not in the time of now what is the gravity that pulls you towards the schwarzschild (i hope i spelled this right) radius from?
Is the gravity so strong i can pull through time?
due to quantum theory, not all futures end in the black hole, right?
Also you say that all objects that pass the event horizon are bound to end up in the singularity, because it is in their future, inescapable; but there are pictures of emissions coming out of the black hole at the poles, so what's happening there?

Last edited:
Leyzorek said:
And if it only exists in the future and is not in the time of now what is the gravity that pulls you towards the schwarzschild (i hope i spelled this right) radius from?
"Now" is not well defined in GR (or SR for that matter - even in the simplest incarnation it is observer dependent). What occurs in a Schwarzschild black hole is an effect of space-time curvature. To go into detail you need to go beyond B-level.
Leyzorek said:
but there are pictures of emissions coming out of the black hole at the poles, so what's happening there?
These are not things coming out of the black hole. They are jets created by the accretion of external matter.

Leyzorek said:
so what you are seeing is actually the past? And if it only exists in the future and is not in the time of now what is the gravity that pulls you towards the schwarzschild (i hope i spelled this right) radius from?

The gravity is from the matter and energy in the black hole. The details of this are beyond a 'B' level thread unfortunately.

Leyzorek said:
Is the gravity so strong i can pull through time?

The phrase, "pull through time", makes no sense, so I can only answer with, "no".

Leyzorek said:
due to quantum theory, not all futures end in the black hole, right?

Quantum theory and General Relativity are not currently compatible, so there's no way to answer your question.

Nothing except nothing escapes a BH.
I like the river model as detailed by Professor Hamilton and his paper here...
https://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/0411060.pdf
The EH of a BH is "falling in" at "c": Inside the EH that speed increases. [This does not contravene SR as it is only spacetime falling in...a massless quantity]

1. Can a photon be made energetic enough to escape a black hole?

Yes, it is theoretically possible for a photon to be made energetic enough to escape a black hole. This can occur through a process called Hawking radiation, where a black hole emits particles and energy due to quantum effects near its event horizon.

2. How does a photon become energetic enough to escape a black hole?

A photon can become energetic enough to escape a black hole through interactions with other particles near the event horizon, such as being absorbed and re-emitted by virtual particles. This process can give the photon enough energy to overcome the strong gravitational pull of the black hole.

3. Is it possible for a photon to escape a black hole without becoming more energetic?

No, for a photon to escape a black hole, it must gain enough energy to overcome the gravitational pull of the black hole. This can occur through interactions with other particles near the event horizon, as described in Hawking radiation.

4. Can photons escape from any type of black hole?

Yes, photons can potentially escape from any type of black hole, as long as they gain enough energy to overcome the gravitational pull. However, the process of Hawking radiation is more significant for smaller black holes, making it more likely for photons to escape from them compared to larger black holes.

5. Are there any other ways for photons to escape a black hole?

Aside from Hawking radiation, there are no other known ways for photons to escape a black hole. However, there are theories that suggest the existence of alternative mechanisms, such as quantum tunneling, that could potentially allow photons to escape a black hole.