Can a Piezoelectric Transducer Double as a Microphone?

In summary: Thank you for your input.In summary, piezoelectric transducers can be used as microphones, but the frequency response is not as good as other forms, so they are not generally used in high quality sound systems. Piezoelectric transducers can be used as both receivers of sound and emitters of sound, but usually the same transducer is not used for both purposes. The frequency range for which a piezoelectric transducer is designed may not be suitable for use in other applications.
Physics news on Phys.org
A google of the topic shows that piezoelectric transducers can make useful microphones, but the frequency response is not as good as some other forms so that they generally are not used in high quality sound systems.

Likes Sveral
Charles Link said:
A google of the topic shows that piezoelectric transducers can make useful microphones, but the frequency response is not as good as some other forms so that they generally are not used in high quality sound systems.
Would the transducer in the link be a good idea for a microphone? Any ideas, what I could connect to it, so it can output ultrasound?

I've played around with taking piezoelectric transducers out of musical greeting cards. They are much better at picking up sounds through solids (like a stethoscope) than they are at picking up sounds transmitted through the air.

To hear the signal the piezoelectric disc is outputting you will need an audio preamp. Check out this one: http://interface.khm.de/index.php/lab-log/piezo-disk-preamplifier/

-Hunter

Likes Charles Link
It's not clear from your posts what you actually want to do.
A microphone does not output sound but convert sound into electrical signals. So the sound is the input for the microphone and not the output.

Fortunately, piezoelectric transducers can be used as both receivers of sound and emitters of sound. In many cases the same transducer can be used for both.
However, the tranducers are usually designed for a specific frequency range and they may have very poor performance outside this range.
The one in the link is for 1.68 MHz, so for low frequency ultrasound.
It may work in the audio range too, with reduced efficiency.

So, you want to produce sound or detect sound from other sources?

Sveral said:
Hello,
I wanted to know, if a piezoelectric transducer can be used similarly to a microphone to output sound, when connected to the user?
Here`s an example:
http://www.topqualitytools.co.uk/at...UH4lAyheqgLOQGEeq2dm9l1Fi69zGYIMpKRoCuNnw_wcB
Thanks in advance.
What frequency range are you interested in? They are inherently bidirectional, that is you put in AC you get sound, you put in sound you get AC out of it.

But the kind of material, thickness and so forth gives the resonant frequency which in the example you showed was over 1 megahertz, not useful for human style audio or even Dolphin audio (200 kilohertz) so you have to define what frequency range you are interested in.

BTW with a buddy in Jerusalem, we had a few weeks to experiment and found the sono-lert type audio piezo's could be cut with sissors where one side disintegrated and the other cut cleanly so turned it around and cut again and was left with a strip say 5 millimeters by 25 mm or so, useful to attach to a mandolin bridge.

It sounded great BTW, in that use.

nasu said:
It's not clear from your posts what you actually want to do.
A microphone does not output sound but convert sound into electrical signals. So the sound is the input for the microphone and not the output.

Fortunately, piezoelectric transducers can be used as both receivers of sound and emitters of sound. In many cases the same transducer can be used for both.
However, the tranducers are usually designed for a specific frequency range and they may have very poor performance outside this range.
The one in the link is for 1.68 MHz, so for low frequency ultrasound.
It may work in the audio range too, with reduced efficiency.

So, you want to produce sound or detect sound from other sources?
I want to produce sound. I wanted it to output audio signals at ultrasound frequency, but in a pulsed manner, was informed, that the human ear can perceive ultrasound, when it`s pulsed instead of continuous.

litup said:
What frequency range are you interested in? They are inherently bidirectional, that is you put in AC you get sound, you put in sound you get AC out of it.

But the kind of material, thickness and so forth gives the resonant frequency which in the example you showed was over 1 megahertz, not useful for human style audio or even Dolphin audio (200 kilohertz) so you have to define what frequency range you are interested in.

BTW with a buddy in Jerusalem, we had a few weeks to experiment and found the sono-lert type audio piezo's could be cut with sissors where one side disintegrated and the other cut cleanly so turned it around and cut again and was left with a strip say 5 millimeters by 25 mm or so, useful to attach to a mandolin bridge.

It sounded great BTW, in that use.
I`m interested in roughly around 50 kHz in a pulsed manner.

You can excite the transducer any way you want. The pulsed waves are used in both industrial and medical applications of the ultrasound.
However, I see two problems. Your transducer is tuned for a frequency much higher than 50 kHz so its output may be quite low, if any.
And besides, these transducers are impedance matched to water (I understand it is for ultrasound cleaners). So its output in air, even at its resonant frequency, will be very low.

Do you have any reference for this claim about perception of pulsed ultrasound?

nasu said:
You can excite the transducer any way you want. The pulsed waves are used in both industrial and medical applications of the ultrasound.
However, I see two problems. Your transducer is tuned for a frequency much higher than 50 kHz so its output may be quite low, if any.
And besides, these transducers are impedance matched to water (I understand it is for ultrasound cleaners). So its output in air, even at its resonant frequency, will be very low.

Do you have any reference for this claim about perception of pulsed ultrasound?
So a better option would be to transmit the sound directly through the body, skipping air as a whole?
The only reference I have for this claim is an experiment, that was conducted during the high school years of another forum member on here...

You can couple to the body by some gel or even water between the transducer and skin. This is routinely done in medical ultrasound.
But to get it to the ear may be more difficult. Why not use a better transducer, maybe air coupled and designed for this very low frequency range?

What is a Piezoelectric Transducer?

A Piezoelectric Transducer is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It utilizes the property of certain materials to generate an electric charge when subjected to physical stress or strain.

How does a Piezoelectric Transducer work?

A Piezoelectric Transducer works by using the piezoelectric effect, which is the ability of certain materials (such as crystals or ceramics) to generate an electric charge when mechanical stress is applied. When an external force is applied to the transducer, it causes the material within to deform and produce an electric charge. This charge can then be measured and converted into an electrical signal.

What are the applications of Piezoelectric Transducers?

Piezoelectric Transducers have a wide range of applications, including in medical devices, sensors, actuators, and energy harvesting. They are also commonly used in musical instruments, ultrasonic devices, and industrial equipment.

What are the advantages of Piezoelectric Transducers?

Piezoelectric Transducers have several advantages, including their small size, high sensitivity, fast response time, and wide frequency range. They also do not require an external power source, making them self-powered and suitable for use in remote or hazardous environments.

What are the limitations of Piezoelectric Transducers?

Some limitations of Piezoelectric Transducers include their relatively low power output, dependence on temperature and humidity, and their tendency to produce noise and distortion. They also have a limited lifespan and can be sensitive to external factors such as shock and vibration.