Can a Student with Struggles in Advanced Topics Succeed in Physics?

• Thread starter kent davidge
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gr Qm
In summary, if you want to learn quantum mechanics or general relativity, you need to be proficient in the basics first.
kent davidge
I'm a 20 years old student in the first year course to get a bachelor degree on physics.

My question is: is it ok for a person like me, frequently getting into trouble when studying some advanced topics on Quantum Mechanics or General Relativity?

In my course, we are learning about basic physics. But while my class collegues are learning basic introductory Math and general physics, I want to study advanced topics, like, geometry of black holes, quantum field theory, because I think it is much more interesting, fascinating and funny. I go to the university library and start reading the books I see there. And in most cases I fine understand the concepts and the Math, but sometimes I feel like I'm a retard because I simply don't understand things.

And I cannt study only those subjects, because I must spend some time studying calculus, linear algebra, etc, to get good results on my exames.

(I'm sorry for my bad English.)

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "getting into trouble" when you're studying these advanced concepts?

kent davidge said:
In my course, we are learning about basic physics. But while my class collegues are learning basic introductory Math and general physics, I want to study advanced topics, like, geometry of black holes, quantum field theory, because I think it is much more interesting, fascinating and funny. I go to the university library and start reading the books I see there. And in most cases I fine understand the concepts and the Math, but sometimes I feel like I'm a retard because I simply don't understand things.

I can't see any reason that you should feel stupid if you're studying things that are well beyond your current skill level.

Likes kent davidge
Focus on your university studies, you will learn those topics later on anyway..so build a good strong foundation in the basics otherwise it you will struggle much more later on.

Likes kent davidge
Quantum field theory and GR are very intricate topics which also involve lot of subtleties. I pretty much learn something new each time I use one of the standard books for reference in research. So as you learn more physics, starting with the foundation you get from the core classes, you will go back and gain a deeper understanding each time.

Likes kent davidge
@kent davidge, are you "getting into trouble" because you spend too much time self-studying instead of studying for your university? :devil:

Likes kent davidge
Fervent Freyja said:
@kent davidge, are you "getting into trouble" because you spend too much time self-studying instead of studying for your university? :devil:
Right. :biggrin::biggrin:

I think a lot of people don't fully appreciate how important it is to master the fundamentals in order to be successful in learning topics like QFT or GR. Even if you can read a QFT book and go through the technicalities, you won't be able to fully appreciate the subject if you don't have the context. For example, I have heard undergrads interested in field theory say stat mech is really boring, when there are actually a ton of very deep connections between the two.

So when you say you want to study QFT and GR because they are most interesting, you should keep in mind that the motivation for these subjects comes from the more elementary things you are learning, and if you miss out on those, you will miss out on the most interesting aspects of QFT and GR.

Likes Fervent Freyja
radium said:
I think a lot of people don't fully appreciate how important it is to master the fundamentals in order to be successful in learning topics like QFT or GR. Even if you can read a QFT book and go through the technicalities, you won't be able to fully appreciate the subject if you don't have the context. For example, I have heard undergrads interested in field theory say stat mech is really boring, when there are actually a ton of very deep connections between the two.

So when you say you want to study QFT and GR because they are most interesting, you should keep in mind that the motivation for these subjects comes from the more elementary things you are learning, and if you miss out on those, you will miss out on the most interesting aspects of QFT and GR.

If it was possible to learn all the fundamentals in one day... the problem is that it takes much time to learn those things.

kent davidge said:
If it was possible to learn all the fundamentals in one day... the problem is that it takes much time to learn those things.

Quantum mechanics and GR cannot be comprehended without the basics.

heres what WILL happen:

1. you will fail or get really bad marks at your basic math courses.
2. You will never get a good grip on GR and other things etc because you are not good at math.
3. You will even drop out of physics at worst.

1. What is the difference between Quantum Mechanics (QM) and General Relativity (GR)?

QM is a theory that explains the behavior of particles on a very small scale, while GR is a theory that explains the behavior of objects on a very large scale. QM deals with the behavior of subatomic particles, while GR deals with the behavior of massive objects like planets and stars.

2. Why is learning QM and GR important?

Learning QM and GR is important because they are fundamental theories in physics that help us understand the behavior of the universe. They have been extensively tested and have been crucial in the development of many modern technologies, such as transistors and GPS systems.

3. What are some real-life applications of QM and GR?

Some real-life applications of QM include semiconductors, lasers, and MRI machines. GR has been used in the development of space travel, satellite navigation, and gravitational wave detectors.

4. How difficult is it to learn QM and GR?

Learning QM and GR can be challenging, as they involve complex mathematical concepts and abstract ideas. However, with dedication and proper guidance, anyone can understand the basics of these theories. It requires patience and practice to fully grasp the concepts.

5. Can QM and GR be unified into one theory?

Currently, there is no unified theory that combines QM and GR, but many scientists are working towards this goal. The search for a unified theory, also known as the theory of everything, is one of the biggest challenges in modern physics.