Can all bending moments be represented by force couples?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of bending moment and its relationship to force couples. It is stated that any given bending moment is equivalent to a force couple applied about the axis, and the moment of a couple is the same about any parallel axis. However, there is a question about whether the internal forces on a non-symmetric member would also be equivalent to a couple. It is then clarified that a moment is a couple, but it depends on how it is defined. Finally, the conversation concludes that for a bending moment in a beam, it is a true couple and is independent of the origin.
etotheipi
A bending moment about an axis passing through a cross section arises due to an uneven distribution of stress across the cross section, like so:

1589185055897.png

I have read that any given bending moment is equivalent to a force couple applied about that axis. That is to say that the curly moment arrow on a FBD represents a force couple producing a moment. The upshot is that the moment of a couple is the same about any parallel axis, which can be useful for problem solving.

However, one engineering reference page said this
Thus, the internal forces in any cross section of a symmetric member in pure bending are equivalent to a couple.

I don't see why the internal forces on a non-symmetric member would not be equivalent to a couple? I wondered if you would agree? Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
A moment is a couple. The fact that the particular bending moment is internal to a member does not change that fact. Thus the answer is, yes, any bending moment is equal to a couple.

This thread is very old! However...
Dr.D said:
A moment is a couple.
depends on how you have defined 'moment'. A moment ##\mathbf{M} = \boldsymbol{x} \times \mathbf{F}## is not a couple (and it is origin dependent), whilst a moment ##\mathbf{M} = \boldsymbol{x}_1 \times \mathbf{F} + \boldsymbol{x}_2 \times (-\mathbf{F})## is a couple.

The question I think I was really asking is: the bending moment in a beam is given by$$M_y = \frac{E}{R} \int x^2 df$$and we wonder whether it is a true 'couple', i.e. whether it's origin independent. And I think the answer to that is in this case, for a bending moment a beam, yes.

1. Can all bending moments be represented by force couples?

No, not all bending moments can be represented by force couples. A force couple is a pair of forces that are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, but do not share the same line of action. Bending moments, on the other hand, are caused by a combination of forces acting on a structure at different points. While some bending moments may be represented by force couples, others may require more complex representations.

2. How do you determine if a bending moment can be represented by a force couple?

To determine if a bending moment can be represented by a force couple, you must first understand the forces acting on the structure and their points of application. If the forces acting on the structure are parallel and have equal magnitudes, and their points of application are equidistant from the center of rotation, then the bending moment can be represented by a force couple.

3. What is the significance of being able to represent a bending moment with a force couple?

Being able to represent a bending moment with a force couple can simplify the analysis of a structure. By using a force couple, the complex bending moment can be reduced to a single moment, making it easier to calculate and understand the forces acting on the structure.

4. Are there any limitations to representing bending moments with force couples?

Yes, there are limitations to representing bending moments with force couples. As mentioned before, not all bending moments can be represented by force couples. Additionally, force couples only consider the moments caused by forces acting in one plane, and do not account for moments caused by forces acting in multiple planes. Therefore, force couples may not accurately represent the bending moments in more complex structures.

5. Can force couples be used to solve for the reactions at supports in a structure?

No, force couples cannot be used to solve for the reactions at supports in a structure. Force couples only represent the bending moment at a specific point in a structure, and do not account for the reactions at supports. To solve for the reactions at supports, other methods such as the equations of equilibrium or the method of sections must be used.