Can an Ellipsoidal Region Contain All Trajectories of the Lorenz Equations?

In summary, the task is to show that there exists an ellipsoidal region E of the form rx2 + σy2 + σ(z-2r)2 ≤ C such that all trajectories of the Lorenz equations eventually enter E and stay in there forever. By using the Lorenz equations and the change in volume, it can be shown that all trajectories will eventually enter and stay in E. The additional challenge is to find the smallest possible value of C with this attracting property.
mliuzzolino

Homework Statement

Show that there is a certain ellipsoidal region E of the form rx2 + σy2 + σ(z-2r)2 ≤ C such that all trajectories of the Lorenz equations eventually enter E and stay in there forever.

Homework Equations

Lorenz Equations:

[itex]\dot{x} = \sigma (y - x)[/itex]

[itex]\dot{y} = rx - xz - y[/itex]

[itex]\dot{z} = xy - bz[/itex]

V is the volume.

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex] V = rx^2 + \sigma y^2 + \sigma(z-2r)^2 [/itex]

[itex]\dot{V} = 2rx\dot{x} + 2\sigma y \dot{y} + 2 \sigma(z - 2r) \dot{z}[/itex]

[itex]\dfrac{1}{2} \dot{V} = rx(\sigma y - \sigma x) + \sigma y (rx - xz - y) + (\sigma z - 2 \sigma r)(xy - bz)[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow \dfrac{1}{2 \sigma} \dot{V} = -rx^2 - y^2 -bz^2 + 2bz[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow \dot{V} < 0[/itex]

Therefore, all trajectories of the Lorenz equations eventually enter E and stay in there forever.

I am not sure I approached this problem correctly, and the additional challenge problem states to try and obtain the smallest possible value of C with this attracting property. Did I miss something in my workthrough above involving C? If I subtract it from both sides of the original inequality and involve it in the workthrough involving the change in volume, isn't the value of C irrelevant given that its derivative is zero (being that it's a constant) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
That seems to help quite a bit. Now I'm only going half as crazy as I was. Thanks a lot!

What are the Lorenz equations and how are they related to chaos?

The Lorenz equations are a set of three nonlinear differential equations that were developed by meteorologist Edward Lorenz in the 1960s. They were originally used to model atmospheric convection, but have since become a popular mathematical model for studying chaos theory. These equations are related to chaos because even small changes in initial conditions can lead to drastically different outcomes, making the system unpredictable and sensitive to its initial conditions.

How do the Lorenz equations differ from other mathematical models?

The Lorenz equations differ from other mathematical models in that they are nonlinear, meaning the output is not proportional to the input. This makes it difficult to solve the equations analytically and requires the use of numerical methods. Additionally, the Lorenz equations are chaotic, meaning they exhibit sensitive dependence on initial conditions and have aperiodic behavior.

What are the main applications of the Lorenz equations?

The Lorenz equations have been used in a variety of fields, including meteorology, physics, biology, economics, and engineering. They are often used to model chaotic systems and to study the effects of small changes in initial conditions on the behavior of a system. They have also been used to develop new control methods for chaotic systems.

What is the butterfly effect and how does it relate to the Lorenz equations?

The butterfly effect refers to the idea that a small change in one part of a system can have a large and unpredictable effect on another part of the system. This concept was first introduced by Edward Lorenz in the context of the Lorenz equations, where he discovered that a tiny change in the initial conditions of the equations could lead to drastically different outcomes. This demonstrates the sensitive dependence on initial conditions in chaotic systems.

What are strange attractors and how are they related to the Lorenz equations?

Strange attractors are a defining characteristic of chaotic systems, and they are often visualized as complex geometric shapes in phase space. The Lorenz equations have a strange attractor known as the Lorenz attractor, which resembles the shape of a butterfly. This attractor represents the long-term behavior of the system and shows how the system moves through phase space over time.