Can Anna Reach Planet 2 in 30 Years?

In summary, the conversation discusses the time it takes for light to travel from planet 1 to planet 2 and whether or not Anna, who has just been born on planet 1, can make it to planet 2 in 30 years. The equations L=Lo/Yv, V=Dist/Time, and Yv=1/(1-V^2/c^2)^(1/2) are mentioned, and it is determined that Anna can make it to planet 2 in 30 years if she moves at 0.8c. The questioner is confused about the step where the book suggests dividing both sides by c, and the respondent clarifies that both sides must be divided by c in order to solve for
thharrimw

Homework Statement

It takes light 40 years to get from planet 1 to planet 2 anna who was just born leves planet 1 to go to planet 2. can she make it to planet 2 in 30 years?

Homework Equations

L=Lo/Yv
V=Dist/Time
Yv=1/(1-V^2/c^2)^(1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the anwser is yesand if anna moves at .8c she would make it in 30 years but i need help understanding why.
in my book it says to take V=40LY/30Y and i get that part but then it says to divide both sides by c and it gets V/C=(40LY/30Y)((1-V^2/c^2)^(1/2))
i want to know WHY you have to divide one side by c tha the other side by 1/(c(1-V^2/c^2)^(1/2))
after that step i understand it but that step is confusing me.

Physics news on Phys.org
thharrimw said:
in my book it says to take V=40LY/30Y
I don't quite understand that. Instead I'd take V = Dist/Time = (Lo/γ)/T = (40LY/γ)/30Y. Then it's just a matter of solving for V.

and i get that part but then it says to divide both sides by c and it gets V/C=(40LY/30Y)((1-V^2/c^2)^(1/2))
i want to know WHY you have to divide one side by c tha the other side by 1/(c(1-V^2/c^2)^(1/2))
That's incorrect. You'd divide both sides by c. But you must start with the correct equation.

What book are you using?

Nonclasical Physics by Randy Harris

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 to explain the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and that the speed of light in a vacuum is constant, regardless of the observer's frame of reference.

2. What is the difference between special relativity and general relativity?

Special relativity deals with the laws of physics in inertial reference frames, while general relativity extends these laws to non-inertial reference frames, including those affected by gravity. General relativity also includes the concept of curved space-time.

3. How does special relativity affect our everyday lives?

Special relativity has many practical applications, such as in the development of GPS technology and understanding the behavior of particles at high speeds. It also offers a deeper understanding of the nature of space and time.

4. Is it possible to travel at the speed of light?

According to special relativity, it is impossible for any object with mass to reach the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases and time slows down, making it impossible to reach the speed of light.

5. What are some examples of special relativity in action?

Some examples of special relativity in action include the time dilation of fast-moving particles, the length contraction of objects moving at high speeds, and the gravitational lensing effect observed in space. These phenomena all demonstrate how the laws of physics behave differently at high speeds.