Can anybody tell what this is?

• Thread starter Ketoni
  • Start date
In summary, a radioactive spark gap was found with a spark plug attached. There is no indication as to what it was used for, but it is probably a museum piece.
Ketoni
I was given this attached photo on a part of some apparatus but I don't know what it is... Any ideas?

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 436
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Could that be part of a lightning rod?
Where did you fin this?

A friend found this in a storage room. Do others agree or disagree with the "lightning rod theory"?

Why would a lightning rod need a spark plug? Champion C-5s are more often found in classic cars.

What does the sign say? Radioactive ...?

"Radioactive source. Do not open or heat above 250 C.

Then perhaps it IS a radioactive source. No idea why the spark type mount, but the shape makes sense.

I would not treat it as something safe. No idea what is the best course of action. Definitely don't put it in your pocket.

Radioactive source indeed - but for but purpose? Still waiting for answer to that...

Ionize the air near the tip of a lightning rod.

Could you show what is written around the white insulator?

It says "Radioactive source. Do not open or heat above 250 C. " I wonder why would a lightning rod would need a spark plug in it?

On the white insulator we can see: "C-5 CH"
But we can't see the whole text.
Can you tell us the full text on the white insulator?

C-5 may be an indication for a category of radioactive sources.
from http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/Pub1227_web.pdf :

"At the lower end of the categorization system, sources in Category 5 are
the least dangerous; however, even these sources could give rise to doses in
excess of the dose limits if not properly controlled, and therefore need to be
kept under appropriate regulatory control. " (page 5)

Lightning preventers are typically category 5 sources. (page 27)

Last edited:
It could be an apparatus for generating soft X-rays by means of using a simple spark plug.

There is a paper on the subject here:

http://www.slac.stanford.edu/pubs/icfa/fall97/paper2/paper2.pdf

In the test set up described in the paper, a different model of Champion plug was used, possibly a J-12Y, although the report is not clear on the subject.

It's clearly a radioactive spark gap.
The connector is obviously for high voltages and the labeling "Do no open"(sic) clearly indicates that it contains a radioactive isotope.

A radioactive source can be applied to the anode of a spark gap to provide ready electrons.
So, have you tried a set of Firestone poloniums?
sparkplugs2.jpg

http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/consumer products/sparkplugs.htm

The misspelling ("Do no open" vs. "Do not open") suggests that this was not mass produced.

It would be interesting to know:
1) What is the word that begins "CH" on the white insulator? (I'm sure it's not "Champion".)
2) Is there an electrical connection between the metal capsule and the ground connection? There probably is, but you can't tell for certain in the photos. If there isn't, this may be a triggerable spark gap.
3) How big is it? Perhaps 8 or 9 cm?

If polonium was used, it long dead.

I doubt that it had any use as a lightning arrestor - you don't need anything that fancy for shorting lightning.

In any case, it is probably a museum piece.

1) What is the word that begins "CH" on the white insulator? (I'm sure it's not "Champion".)

Why? That is exactly what a champion C-5 looks like...

The one in the OP has the modern push fit terminal but many plugs come with both styles.

http://www.gsparkplug.com/shop/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/c/5/c5_1.jpg

http://www.gsparkplug.com/shop/champion-c5.html

billy_joule said:
Champion C-5s are more often found in classic cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so 60 or 80 years ago, someone infused or coated the anode of a Champion spark plug with a radioactive isotope and then sealed it up with a small canister. I believe that would make it a high voltage rectifier - that has long lost its uumph.

1. What is the purpose of "Can anybody tell what this is?"

The purpose of "Can anybody tell what this is?" is to gather information and gain understanding about something that is not immediately recognizable or understandable.

2. How can I determine what something is if I don't know?

The best way to determine what something is if you don't know is through observation and research. Look for identifying features or characteristics and utilize resources such as books, websites, or experts in the field.

3. Why is it important to know what something is?

Knowing what something is can provide valuable information, such as potential uses, properties, and potential risks associated with it. It can also contribute to our overall understanding of the world and how things work.

4. What should I do if nobody can tell me what something is?

If nobody can tell you what something is, you can continue to research and gather information. It may also be helpful to seek out additional experts or reach out to online communities for assistance.

5. Are there any tools or techniques that can assist in identifying something?

Yes, there are various tools and techniques that can assist in identifying something, such as microscopy, chemical tests, and DNA analysis. These methods can provide valuable information about the structure and composition of an object.