Can Benzene and its Derivatives Conduct Electricity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the conductivity of benzene and its derivatives. It is determined that benzene cannot conduct electricity due to the lack of delocalized electrons between molecules. However, a benzene-like ring without hydrogen and with alternating single and triple bonds between carbon atoms can conduct electricity, as seen in graphite. Similarly, a chain of carbon with alternating single and double bonds, such as polyacetylene, can also conduct electricity.
L Tetris Block
Hello, I have a few questions that have been on my mind. I am wondering, can benzene conduct electricity because of the delocalized electrons? I am certain that the answer is yes but my knowledge of chemistry at the moment is elementary.

If that answer is yes, can a benzene-like ring of carbon but with no hydrogen and either all double bounds or alternating single and triple bounds between the carbons be made and still conduct electricity?

Similar to the above, could a chain of carbon with an all double or alternating single and triple bounds conduct electricity?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
L Tetris Block said:
can benzene conduct electricity because of the delocalized electrons?

No, they cannot. Benzene is different from a conducting metal in the fact that electrons are not delecolized between the molecules. Theoretically speaking, you might get a "current" going inside an individual molecule, but you wouldn't be able to use it in any way.

As a result, 2.) and 3.) would also be impossible.

You need a chain of sp2 carbons making a conjugated pi system.

I don't know anything beyond that, but maybe someone else could elaborate as to the uses and efficiency of such a system.

Last edited:
L Tetris Block said:
(snip)... a benzene-like ring of carbon but with no hydrogen and either all double bounds or alternating single and triple bounds between the carbons be made and still conduct electricity?

Yes. It's called "graphite" (chicken wire).
Similar to the above, could a chain of carbon with an all double or alternating single and triple bounds conduct electricity?
(snip)

See "polyacetylene."

Polyacetylene has alternating single and double bonds, hence the chain of sp2 carbons I referred to.

Thanks for the help everyone, especially Bystander for providing the information.

Related to Can Benzene and its Derivatives Conduct Electricity?

1. What is the role of benzene in electricity?

Benzene is a chemical compound that is commonly used as a solvent in the production of various products, including electricity. It is used as a feedstock in the production of several important industrial chemicals, including ethylbenzene, which is then converted into styrene for the production of plastics and other materials used in electrical components.

2. Is benzene a conductor or insulator of electricity?

Benzene is a poor conductor of electricity. This is because it is a nonpolar molecule, meaning that it has a symmetrical distribution of electrical charges. As a result, it does not have free electrons that can easily flow and conduct electricity. However, it can become a weak conductor when exposed to high temperatures or when mixed with other substances that can enhance its conductivity.

3. Can benzene be used as a source of electricity?

No, benzene cannot be used as a direct source of electricity. It is a chemical compound that requires a chemical reaction or conversion process to produce electricity. However, it can be used as a fuel source in fuel cells, where it is chemically converted into electricity.

4. Is electricity used in the production of benzene?

Yes, electricity is used in the production of benzene through the process of electrolysis. In this process, an electric current is passed through a solution of chemicals, including benzene, to produce new chemical compounds. This method is commonly used in the production of benzene for industrial purposes.

5. What are the potential hazards of working with benzene and electricity?

The use of benzene and electricity in industrial processes can pose several hazards. Benzene is a highly flammable substance and can cause fires and explosions if not handled properly. It is also considered a carcinogen, meaning that long-term exposure to high levels of benzene can increase the risk of developing certain types of cancer. Additionally, working with electricity can also be dangerous if proper safety precautions are not taken, as it can cause electric shocks and burns.