Can Curving a Space-Cone Create a Black Hole?

• B
  • Thread starter swampwiz
  • Start date
In summary, Sean Carroll discusses the possibility of requiring a large amount of energy that would create a black hole. He mentions that this is theoretically possible but also catastrophic. To further understand this concept, a link to the video and a timestamp (38:05) is provided. However, it is noted that creating closed timelike curves, which are necessary for this scenario, is currently not possible and may be impossible to achieve.
swampwiz
require so much energy that the density of the energy - i.e., its mass equivalent - must always create a black hole? I was watching a video by Sean Carroll describe how this is *theoretically* possible, but obviously catastrophic.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please provide a link to the video and a timestamp for where Carroll talks about this. Better yet, a paper or textbook reference. Without a reference it's difficult to tell if you are describing something I understand but using unusual terminology, or describing something I can't help with.

Likes Dale
Here is where he discusses it:

That's an hour long video. If you meant it to start somewhere in the middle, it didn't work. Can you give me a time stamp?

Try 38:05.

Carroll seems to be talking about spacetimes containing closed timelike curves. I don't think we know a way to create them, even in principle. They are pre-existing features of some spacetimes.

As far as I'm aware, it's a case of "can't get there from here". We can describe spacetimes containing CTCs. We can describe our spacetime. We don't know a way to describe something that starts looking like our universe but later on has a CTC in it. It may well be impossible to do so.

Related to Can Curving a Space-Cone Create a Black Hole?

1. What is a space-cone?

A space-cone is a theoretical concept in physics that represents the shape of space and time around a massive object. It is often depicted as a three-dimensional cone, with the object at the tip and the base representing the infinite universe.

2. How does curving a space-cone create a black hole?

According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, massive objects can curve the fabric of space and time around them. When a space-cone is curved enough, it can create a point of infinite curvature known as a singularity, which is the defining feature of a black hole.

3. Can any object create a black hole by curving a space-cone?

No, only objects with a very high mass and density, such as stars or planets, can create a black hole. The amount of curvature needed to form a black hole is directly related to the mass of the object.

4. What happens inside a black hole?

Inside a black hole, the gravitational pull is so strong that it traps everything, including light, making it impossible to see or escape from the black hole. The singularity at the center of a black hole is also thought to be infinitely dense and have infinite gravity.

5. Can a black hole be created artificially by curving a space-cone?

No, currently there is no known way to artificially create a black hole by curving a space-cone. The amount of mass and energy required to curve space and time to the extent needed for a black hole is beyond our current technological capabilities.