Can differential op amps operate without any supply?

In summary, The OP should try wiring one up to see if it works. If it doesn't, they should try buying a differential op amp and hooking it up to see if it works.
amit016
Just want to amplify the difference of inputs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Have you tried wiring one up to see?

Curious what you mean by 'supply'. You cannot expect anything if you don't hook up the power supply pins.

The OP should look at the circuit diagram of an opamp. Like this one.

Simon Bridge: No, that is the reason I am asking you people it is practically possible or not ?

Averagesupernova : Supply means Vs other than input voltage. I want to amplify difference of input voltages that was the reason i had gone for differential op amp. I don't want to feed any supply voltage to it.

MrSparkle: I understand, but its fully differential op amp or a simple demonstration of op amps?

I should make you people clear,,, I need to amplify millivolt (20 n more) to 5 volts but i don't want to go for any comparator op amps which requires Vs or supply. So i wanted to know ,,, does a differential op amp requires Vs because I found it in texas instrument's circuits,,, that is why I am confused right now.

1. differential op amp without supply (possible or not)

if yes

2. then please suggest me some IC numbers

Averagsupernova already gave you the answer. There are no op amp chips of any type that will work without a power supply.

amit016, you don't understand the basic principle of amplification. When you take a small signal and want to amplify it up to say 5 volts, you take a 5 volt power supply and modify it by sending some percentage of it to ground, proportional(or inversely proportional) to the strength of the small signal. The supply voltage is absolutely critical to amplification.

An op amp is supposed to draw (nearly) no currents from its inputs, but it should be able to deliver a current at its output.
Without a power supply, that would violate energy conservation.

If you can draw large currents from the input and don't need large currents at the output, this is a DC-DC-converter, those work without external power supplies.

... and finally:
amit016 said:
Simon Bridge: No, that is the reason I am asking you people it is practically possible or not ?
... it is a simple, safe, and cheap, experiment - why not try it for yourself and see?

You description of what you tried would provide insight into how best to help you.

Note: all op-amps are "differential op amps", so what is true of general op-amps is true for them also.
See also:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electronic/opampvar6.html

... but I think you have your answer.
Were you thinking of connecting the +Vs and -Vs pins to the input pins or something?

Amplifying a signal without adding power from someplace would be perpetual motion .
You have to hook up the power terminals.

It's a common mistake for beginners.

Thanks everyone for their precious time and making me more aware about op amps.

DC TO DC converters will work for me.

good day

Here's a good reference that you might want to digest
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/sboa092a/sboa092a.pdf

If you can find one of the old Burr Brown books he references, they are indeed treasures. Ebay ?

see also
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slaa068a/slaa068a.pdf

this fellow has compiled a nice index to great articles. Start with AN20 and AN31.
http://my.ece.ucsb.edu/York/Bobsclass/2C/Tutorials/application_notes.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
The very word "amplifier" implies the control of power from a power source by a low power input signal, in order to provide a higher power output signal. Hence, a transformer (no external power supplied) is not an amplifier, even though it may produce more output volts than input volts. The output power from a transformer will never be more than the input (signal) power.

Last edited:

1. Can differential op amps operate without any supply?

No, differential op amps require a positive and negative power supply to function properly. Without a power supply, the op amp will not have the necessary voltage to perform its operations.

2. What happens if I try to use a differential op amp without a power supply?

If a differential op amp is used without a power supply, it will not function at all. The op amp will not have any power to amplify the input signal and will not produce an output.

3. Is it possible to use a single power supply for a differential op amp?

Yes, it is possible to use a single power supply for a differential op amp. However, this requires additional circuitry to create a virtual ground, which is necessary for the op amp to function properly.

4. What are the benefits of using a dual power supply for a differential op amp?

A dual power supply allows for a wider range of input and output signals to be amplified by the op amp. It also provides better stability and allows for the op amp to operate at a higher voltage, resulting in a larger output signal.

5. Can I use different power supply voltages for a differential op amp?

Yes, differential op amps can be powered by different voltages as long as the voltage difference between the two supplies is within the specified range for the op amp. However, using significantly different power supply voltages can affect the performance of the op amp and should be carefully considered.