Can electric flux be measured in Coulombs?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
diagopod
Messages
96
Reaction score
3
Learning electrodynamics here, and the book I'm reading says the following: "By definition, one coulomb of electric charge gives rise to one Coulomb of electric flux, hence Psi = Q (Coulombs)."

Yet I'm reasonably certain that flux is not simply charge, and is not measured in Coulombs alone, at least by most definitions. Everywhere else I seem to encounter flux as Volt-meters, or Newton-meter^2 / Coulomb.

Is there a way to reconcile these two definitions or is the first one simply incorrect?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Probabliy this definition happens when one decide that epsilon zero has no dimension.

Search for Gauss Law.


Best Regards

DaTario
 
DaTario said:
Probabliy this definition happens when one decide that epsilon zero has no dimension.

Makes sense. Thanks DaTario