Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Elementary question on Electric flux units

1. Feb 23, 2017 #1
    The net flux over a closed surface is:

Flux = The surface integral of the field E = charge / permitivity in space (Gauss law)

The permitivity in space is:

8.85 10-12 Coulombs2/N m 2

So I understand the units of Flux are:

Newton meter2/Coulombs

Is this correct? I don't understand why in a book they say that the net flux is simply the charge, ignoring the permittivity units.

ALternatively the permittivity could be given in Farad/meter so our flux would be:

Coulombs meter/ Farad

Is this correct?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2017 #2
    Nobody?

4. Feb 24, 2017 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

a book, eh ? Are they talking about ##\vec E## or about ##\vec D## ?

5. Feb 24, 2017 #4
    Does your book use SI units or Gaussian? You should really identify the book.
    In SI, electric flux is volts meters. (Because electric field is volts/meter, and flux is an integral over area)

6. Feb 24, 2017 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

As a wild guess, perhaps it uses Gaussian units, in which the vacuum permittivity constant ##\varepsilon_0## does not exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaussian_units

[ah, now I see Khashishi beat me to it!]

7. Feb 25, 2017 #6
    Ok, so if it is gaussian units it is just the charge, if it is SI units we have what I said at the start.
    I hope this is right, if not let me know.

8. Feb 25, 2017 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you miss

9. Feb 25, 2017 #8
    It is Purcell's classic. It is a fantastic book, it says in gaussian units it is just the charge, but in SI doesn't explicitly say "these are the units", I wanted to check, since I consider that very basic.

10. Feb 25, 2017 #9

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Purcell Ch1 (probably the rest too) is CGS. He touches upon SI which to me is potentially confusing. Check out appendix E where he says 'in our CGS system'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted