Can electricity enhance physical performance?

In summary, comic book characters with electricity ability use membrane concept of electricity to cover their bodies, which helps the electric nerve pulses to run at the electrical membrane like short cut , results with enhanced thinking and physical reflection. However, this concept is not entirely plausible and does not explain how they are able to have enhanced physical reactions.
Goplergop
I am comic fan
There are several fiction character with electricity ability.
Like Sasuke and Kakashi from Naruto , and Killua Zoldyck from Hunter X Hunter, they use membrane concept of electricity to cover their bodies, which helps the electric nerve pulses to run at the electrical membrane like short cut , results with enhanced thinking and physical reflection.

Is it possible, does electricity work that way ?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
No.

Likes Goplergop, russ_watters, BillTre and 3 others
Goplergop said:
No.
The idea or concept probably comes from the fact that nerves work best and fast while they have a myelin membrane sheath. Demyelination is a disease.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myelin

Long ago I heard reports of a couple of people who were more immune to electric shock than others, (but not to electrical burns). It was said that they had a double myelin sheath on their nerves.
Double myelin sheaths are found in nature, but I would like to know if there is any credible documentation of immunity to electric shock as a result.

Likes Goplergop
Several factors affect responsiveness of a nerve cell to electrical shock.

Some or factors extrinsic to the nerve cells such as how close the stimulating electrode is to the particular nerve cell in question, amplitude of stimulation (V), frequency of stimulation, etc.
Intrinsic factors could include: size (diameter) of axon (important), myelination, membrane electrical properties based on things like particular membrane proteins (such as channel proteins that might be triggered by transmembrane voltage changes.

Goplergop said:
they use membrane concept of electricity to cover their bodies, which helps the electric nerve pulses to run at the electrical membrane like short cut , results with enhanced thinking and physical reflection.
I can't make any sense out of this.

Likes Goplergop
I was surprised at how slow nerve conduction was (<120m/s)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerve_conduction_velocity

This graph is interesting (https://www.jneurosci.org/content/26/42/10879)

1642364682271.jpeg

Stimuli were painful and tactile stimuli randomly applied to the right hand. Reaction times were button presses with the index finger of the left hand. Central processing time was defined as latency between earliest stimulus-evoked cortical responses and reaction times.

Last edited:
Likes Goplergop
Goplergop said:
... membrane concept of electricity to cover their bodies, which helps the electric nerve pulses to run at the electrical membrane like short cut , results with enhanced thinking and physical reflection.
The technical term for such a description is word salad. Throw enough technical terms into a paragraph and it can make it sound to the uninitiated like it is plausible.

Likes Goplergop and BillTre
frost_zero said:
normally when you get tired after doing heavy exercise its not the muscles themselves getting tired, the brain gets "tired" of sending impulses,
Er. It is my understanding that the electrolytic ions: K, Na, Ca, get exhausted and take time to replenish. That's the direct reason why muscles can't operate without a rest. Hitting the muscles with more impulses will cause them to exploit a secondary reaction that generates lactic acid - that's the painful "burn" you feel in a muscle cramp. You'd be in agony.

Likes Goplergop and Ibix
jim mcnamara said:
@frost_zero - What you claim seems to have problems.
Please post a reasonable reference - thanks.
This review reference disagrees:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5668469/
thats true I should have researched it further because I remember reading this somewhere way earlier, not even from a citable source, my bad

Likes jim mcnamara
DaveC426913 said:
Er. It is my understanding that the electrolytic ions: K, Na, Ca, get exhausted and take time to replenish. That's the direct reason why muscles can't operate without a rest. Hitting the muscles with more impulses will cause them to exploit a secondary reaction that generates lactic acid - that's the painful "burn" you feel in a muscle cramp. You'd be in agony.
If I recall my college training correctly the lactic acid is generated by the muscles' metabolism when oxygen is depleted.

Likes Goplergop and DaveC426913
Goplergop said:
In general, no. The whole 'membrane concept of electricity to cover their bodies' remains magic.
Closest to the concept would be this or this.

Somewhere down the road on that line there is a very distant possibility to effectively control muscles with electronics: further down to do it faster. But this is so distant, that the best what can be said is that the usual electronics/augmented cyborg-stuff from sci-fi is not entirely baseless.

Regarding the 'enhanced thinking' part, it's even worse. Far worse.

Likes BillTre
Goplergop said:
Acknowledging that they are comics, @Goplergop, one could argue that enhanced mitochondria in these comic book characters could explain enhanced physical reactions. In this case, it's more 'electricity' within our cells than plugging your hero into the closest wall socket, but at least it adds a patina of science to the otherwise 110% fiction.

I'm not sure that it would explain "enhanced thinking", though. To be fair, we don't truly understand 'thinking' sufficiently to make an absolute statement in how electricity - or mitochondria - might turbo charge it, but as electric shocks tend to stun or kill people, it seems unlikely.

WRT mitochondria, mitochondria are there to provide cells with energy in the form of ATP, a chemical that reacts with other chemicals, independent of electrical considerations.
Mitochondria do generate an electrical potential across their membrane (by pumping protons (H+ out of the mitochondria when as a result of the Electron transport chain of reactions). The use this electrical potential to drive the membrane ATPase's function to make ATP from ADP and phosphate.

Upper electric potentials across membranes usually just causes them to momentarily breakdown during which a less charged situation is restored.
Sudden shocks to biological systems mostly result in momentary uncoordinated discharges, not enhanced function. Good for making laboratory measurements, not usually a way to improve behavior.
Too much shock or too many discharges can cause more serious and irreversable damage.

Having found myself in a heap on other side of room when an old stand-lamp's plug shattered at my touch, I counted myself lucky to escape with only a bad fright and a day of muscle shakes...

Um, how do 'Electric Eels' and their ilk manage ? IIRC, they use their 'electricity' both as 'radar' and 'taser'.

Analogy with eg bottle-nose dolphins who can use their sonar both to track and stun...

1. Can electricity really improve physical performance?

Yes, electricity has been shown to have a positive impact on physical performance in various studies. It can enhance muscle strength, endurance, and reaction time.

2. How does electricity improve physical performance?

Electricity stimulates the nerves that control muscle movement, causing the muscles to contract more forcefully and quickly. This can lead to increased muscle strength and power.

3. Is it safe to use electricity for enhancing physical performance?

When used properly and under the guidance of a trained professional, electrical stimulation for physical performance is generally considered safe. However, like any form of exercise, it is important to use caution and consult with a doctor before starting any new regimen.

4. Can anyone use electrical stimulation for physical performance?

Electrical stimulation is generally safe for most people, but it is important to consult with a doctor before using it, especially if you have any underlying health conditions. Additionally, it may not be suitable for individuals with pacemakers or other implanted devices.

5. How often should electrical stimulation be used for physical performance?

The frequency of electrical stimulation for physical performance may vary depending on the individual's goals and needs. It is important to follow the guidance of a trained professional and not overuse electrical stimulation, as it can cause muscle fatigue and potential injury.