Can I call myself a physicist yet?

• Thread starter flatmaster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary: I am an inquisitive designer with a bent for understanding how things work, so I chose "physicist".In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of whether one can call themselves a physicist without a PhD or working in a specific job position. The opinions vary, with some saying it depends on how one defines "physicist" and others saying it is dependent on their job title or qualifications. Ultimately, the conversation ends with a humorous exchange about the use of the word "physicist" in different contexts.
JasonRox said:
So, you can graduate and then work at McDonald's afterwards but still call yourself an "engineer"?

That makes no sense to me.

No, with todays 'employee management' I'd probably be a 'food technician' or some bull like that. But anyway, regardless of the job I do I still retain the knowledge gained and so could certainly call myself it.

But to me, the job also plays a part in determining what you call yourself. If I work in an engineering role, whether I have a degree or not, as long as the knowledge and skills are there I am considered and engineer.

If you have the knowledge required and perform a job in the role of an engineer, then you are an engineer.

So what you guys are saying is, if a person without a degree applies for a job as an engineer, proves he has the ability to do it and gets it, because he lacks that piece of paper the role suddenly becomes something else and not an engineering one? The person is not considered an engineer despite doing the same work as a person with a degree?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jarednjames said:
No, we don't have any rules on it. That is why someone who fixes household appliances can call themselves an engineer. In any other profession they would be a technician / service person, but no we have people calling themselves engineers. This is why no one understands how difficult my degree actually is and when I do show them the maths work involved whether it is pure, stats or thermodynamics etc. they are shocked.

I will never believe this. Call me whatever you want but if someone only knows how to fix household appliances but not exactly the mathematics behind it, then they aren't engineers. They are skilled-workers.
So what you guys are saying is, if a person without a degree applies for a job as an engineer, proves he has the ability to do it and gets it, because he lacks that piece of paper the role suddenly becomes something else and not an engineering one? The person is not considered an engineer despite doing the same work as a person with a degree?

I would guess the person wouldn't have the knowledge I've acquired through school so, no I would not call him/her an engineer. I can't speak for the other guy but that is just my view on it.

//:phoenix:\\ said:
I will never believe this. Call me whatever you want but if someone only knows how to fix household appliances but not exactly the mathematics behind it, then they aren't engineers. They are skilled-workers.
Tell that to british gas:
"Smell gas, give us a ring and we'll have an engineer round to you ASAP." That so called engineer doesn't know the mathematics of how boilers work, most are simply gas fitters who are corgi registered, no degree required there.
//:phoenix:\\ said:
I would guess the person wouldn't have the knowledge I've acquired through school so, no I would not call him/her an engineer. I can't speak for the other guy but that is just my view on it.
Well there's your problem. You guess/assume. You fresh out of uni with no industrial experience are not going to beat an experienced person with a long resume of career successes in the engineering field just because they lack a piece of paper.

jarednjames said:
You fresh out of uni with no industrial experience are not going to beat an experienced person with a long resume of career successes in the engineering field just because they lack a piece of paper.

Lets remove all the restrictions and let everyone work as a engineer who wants to. Why we even have restrictions for doctors or policemen then? Let's also remove their restrictions too...

If tomorrow something wrong happens, don't go look for Engineering regulation body .. (or a body that maintains the profession)

Let's all stop for a moment and reflect on this thread and ask ourselves.

Why the hell does this really matter? I mean, honestly? Do you really need to call yourself x,y,z so you can feel good and sleep at night? If so, seek help.

How about you let your work speak for you - which is what I've been saying all along.

rootX said:
Lets remove all the restrictions and let everyone work as a engineer who wants to. Why we even have restrictions for doctors or policemen then? Let's also remove their restrictions too...

If tomorrow something wrong happens, don't go look for Engineering regulation body .. (or a body that maintains the profession)

Let's make good posts. I already explained this.

I hereby revoke your title of Dr.

Cyrus said:
Why the hell does this really matter? I mean, honestly? Do you really need to call yourself x,y,z so you can feel good and sleep at night? If so, seek help.

It's not about about the titles/names but the about legal/ethical accountability. I am only going for having legal restrictions for particular professions like engineers/police/doctors I don't care about the titles itself.

These (legal) names/title were made to prevent mistakes not just because of some irrational reason.

Cyrus said:
Why the hell does this really matter? I mean, honestly? Do you really need to call yourself x,y,z so you can feel good and sleep at night?

Yes.

Cyrus said:
If so, seek help.

No.

This thread is hilarious.

rootX said:
It's not about about the titles/names but the about legal/ethical accountability. I only going for having legal restrictions for particular professions like engineers/police/doctors I don't care about the titles itself.

These (legal) names/title were made to prevent mistakes not just because of some irrational reason.

I *already* EXPLAINED what the legal implications are, mannnnnnnnnn.

<This thread annoys me because people don't *LISTEN*>

rootX said:

Policemen don't have degrees. It isn't required. They train to be proficient at the job.

The only way to get experience as a doctor is to do a degree and then work as an intern in a hospital.

Cut the crap, now you are clutching at straws.

To be a chef you either go to college and then work under a head chef. Or you start at the bottom in a kitchen and work your way up. Still considered a chef either way.

Pengwuino said:
Yes.
No.

This thread is hilarious.

I hereby make you Dr. for not being annoying.

http://ui08.gamespot.com/1735/failed_2.jpg

Ahhh, it had to be done folks. It had to be done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it strange pheonix that under your view of this, you would consider a person who learns to pass the exams to get a degree yet retains no knowledge/skills, to be an engineer, but would take a person who is highly skilled and holds a huge knowledge of engineering principles and cast them aside as a nothing simply because they have no degree.

Cyrus said:
Ahhh, it had to be done folks. It had to be done.

Yes Cyrus, YES IT DID!

Degrees, titles, even academic positions have little to do with being a physicist, a musician, a painter, a hunter, a pilot, a fireman, a thief or a murderer. A piece of paper does not change your personality. If you are passionate for something and live every day with this passion, who cares what other people call you ?

The profession does not honor the man, it is the man who honors the profession.
(Victor Hugo, poorly translated)

humanino said:
Degrees, titles, even academic positions have little to do with being a physicist, a musician, a painter, a hunter, a pilot, a fireman, a thief or a murderer. A piece of paper does not change your personality. If you are passionate for something and live every day with this passion, who cares what other people call you ?

The profession does not honor the man, it is the man who honors the profession.
(Victor Hugo, poorly translated)

You already have a PhD, or I'd give you one too.

jarednjames said:
I find it strange pheonix that under your view of this, you would consider a person who learns to pass the exams to get a degree yet retains no knowledge/skills, to be an engineer, but would take a person who is highly skilled and holds a huge knowledge of engineering principles and cast them aside as a nothing simply because they have no degree.

Straw man.

Pengwuino said:
Straw man.

What? Can't say I understand.

jarednjames said:
What? Can't say I understand.

Straw man argument.

Pengwuino said:
Straw man argument.

Cardboard box.

In what sense? He says he only accepts an engineer is a person with an engineering degree. And has stated himself, no matter what a person knows about engineering, no matter how good they are at an engineering job, if they don't have a degree to him they are not an engineer.

To be the straw man argument I would have had to state this and then attack it, and then claim his original statement is false because of my presented argument of my statement. Whereas Pheonix has actually stated he only accepts a person with a degree as an engineer and that anyone without is not one.

Last edited:
jarednjames said:
I suggest you look up what a straw man argument is defined as like I just have.

What?

Furthermore, you claim someone with a degree only knows how to take exams and knows no real knowledge and someone whos been in the industry for a long time always has a wealth of knowledge and understanding. It's silly.

Thank you Cyrus I just googled to find what a Cardboard Box argument is! Feel like a right plonker now.

Pengwuino said:
What?

Furthermore, you claim someone with a degree only knows how to take exams and knows no real knowledge and someone whos been in the industry for a long time always has a wealth of knowledge and understanding. It's silly.

I didn't claim anything of the sort. I simply pointed out that some people who do the degree are like that. At NO POINT did I say ALL people who do degrees simply learn to pass exams. Please do not take posts out of context like that, in my book you are seriously discredited because of it.

Last edited:
I'm thick so I'm a thicksisist.

I can't believe I sat and read all of this. What a waste of time.

What else can you do when you are enduser ?

Stop this absurd thread. Flatmaster checked out at post 9. NINE! He began with a fairly benign question, and it doesn't appear that an answer either way was going to define anything or anybody, yet it devolved into a mini war, a flame-p!$$!ng contest. I appreciate our "edgy" (dammit, is there another word?) members and the humor they bring, but...

what is this, Youtube?

Locked pending moderation. :rolleyes: