Can I Connect a Smaller Valve to a Varian M4 Diffusion Pump for Lower Costs?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
SupaVillain
Messages
47
Reaction score
2
Hello all,

I have a Varian M4 diffusion pump that has a 6 inch diameter opening at the top, is it okay for me to connect that to a reduced size opening like just 2 or 3 inches diameter so that I can use a smaller valve? I am only trying to pump down a cubic foot or two sized chamber. I am trying to lower costs by going with a smaller valve because big gate valves are extremely expensive.

I'm assuming this would only result in slower pump down speeds? What are the consequences of doing this? I would prefer a right angle valve connecting the pump to the chamber
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you're just pumping the chamber to high vacuum with no processing gas flows it will have a small effect on the ultimate base pressure in the molecular flow region where the kinetic effects of the mean free path of the gas molecules is important for pumping. The valve size will be less critical to pumping speed if there are no angles to the diffusion pump from the chamber.
 
Thank you for the info, ended up getting a gate valve instead of a right angle valve. Glad to know it will have higher performance because of it.