Can I ORDER BY an Alias Column (MSSQL)?

In summary, the order in which aliases and order by are computed in a query can vary depending on the database engine, but in most cases, you can use ORDER BY x to sort by an alias.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi All,
I am doing a query in which I am ALIASING a column name, say 'column name' AS x
Can I , at the end of the query ORDER BY x, or must I ORDER BY the given initial 'column name'?
(Still having trouble downloading free copy of MSSQL2012, so I cannot test the query).
I know this has to see with when the Alias is 'computed' in the query, but I am having trouble still.

Thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Hi All,
I am doing a query in which I am ALIASING a column name, say 'column name' AS x
Can I , at the end of the query ORDER BY x, or must I ORDER BY the given initial 'column name'?
(Still having trouble downloading free copy of MSSQL2012, so I cannot test the query).
I know this has to see with when the Alias is 'computed' in the query, but I am having trouble still.

Thanks.
You can use ORDER BY x.
The following query on the Northwinds database works:
SQL:
SELECT CompanyName as expr2, ContactName, Left(Country,2) AS Expr1
FROM Customers
ORDER BY expr2,expr1;

Likes WWGD
WWGD said:
Still having trouble downloading free copy of MSSQL2012, so I cannot test the query.
Can't remember if it was you or someone else, but possible solutions/work-arounds include (in increasing order of certainty):
  1. SQL Server 2014
  2. A cheap web host that runs SQL Server and run SQL Server Management Studio locally (although if you can't get SQL Server to work itself you might have problems)
  3. A cheap web host that runs SQL Server and provides an on-line management tool to run in your browser - this is guaranteed to work
  4. Install XAMPP and use MySql not MS SQL of course - fine for standard dialect (although watch out for CONCAT, that's usually the first thing to catch you out)
  5. Use an even cheaper web host to run MySQL (they all do this in their standard package) and provides an on-line management tool (usually PhpMyAdmin) to run in your browser - this is guaranteed to work
  6. Use sqlfiddle e.g. http://sqlfiddle.com/#!6/f892f/8 - this is also guaranteed to work and once you have set a reusable test schema is quicker to try for real than asking a question here (not that it is not a pleasure to answer your questions here of course...)
A couple of solutions there that are guaranteed to work with various degrees of compromise, but anything is better than just guessing whether your code will work when you are learning.

Likes WWGD
Samy_A said:
You can use ORDER BY x.
The following query on the Northwinds database works:
SQL:
SELECT CompanyName as expr2, ContactName, Left(Country,2) AS Expr1
FROM Customers
ORDER BY expr2,expr1;
Thanks, Samy_A . I guess this has to see with the order in which using ALIAS for a table is computed, i.e., it is computed after running the query, while , e.g., order by is computed/processed after the query is run, after the columns have already been aliased/renamed, right?

WWGD said:
Thanks, Samy_A . I guess this has to see with the order in which using ALIAS for a table is computed, i.e., it is computed after running the query, while , e.g., order by is computed/processed after the query is run, after the columns have already been aliased/renamed, right?
I don't know much about the internal working of these database engines. But yes, it looks like that, or at least the database engine has a map of the fields and the aliases ready before running the query and doing the ordering.
I have had rare instances with queries where sorting on the alias didn't work. As it was easily solved by just ordering on the expression itself, I never bothered to find out under what precise condition it doesn't work.

What is an alias column in MSSQL?

An alias column in MSSQL is a temporary name given to a column in a SELECT statement. It is used to make the output more readable or to perform operations on the column.

Can I use ORDER BY on an alias column in MSSQL?

Yes, you can use ORDER BY on an alias column in MSSQL. However, it is important to note that the ORDER BY clause is executed after the SELECT statement, so the alias column may not be available for sorting.

Does ORDER BY affect performance when using an alias column in MSSQL?

No, ORDER BY does not affect performance when using an alias column in MSSQL. The performance is affected by the underlying columns used to create the alias column.

Can I use an alias column in a GROUP BY clause in MSSQL?

Yes, you can use an alias column in a GROUP BY clause in MSSQL. However, the alias column must be used in the SELECT statement as well.

What is the scope of an alias column in MSSQL?

The scope of an alias column in MSSQL is limited to the SELECT statement in which it is used. It cannot be referenced in other parts of the query such as the WHERE or HAVING clauses.