Can I use one hydraulic pump for two identical motors?

In summary, the starting torque for a hydraulic motor depends on the motor's rating and the application.
mister student
Hello
I need guidance on selection of a hydraulic motor.
Motor would be used to drive the wheel of a vehicle. Motor needs to generate a torque of 18.3Nm in order to overcome static friction and move the vehicle. And the motor needs to be small enough to be coupled with the tire (see the picture)

From where should i start?
And can a single hydraulic pump be used to drive 2 identical hydraulic motors?

Attachments

• IMG_20141024_113237.jpg
    IMG_20141024_113237.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 954
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome. Here's a starting point: http://www.baumhydraulics.com/pages.php?pageid=4

Here's another one: http://www.hydraproducts.co.uk/hydraulic-calculators.aspx

You also need to know the desired rpm and power outputs as well to identify the pump/motor you need.

Basically (in SI units):

pressure X displacement = torque
torque X rpm = power
displacement X rpm = flow rate
pressure X flow rate = power

And yes, you can drive 2 motors with one pump.

thanks a lot for your answers.
I've checked out the links you provided.
I've been browsing manufacturers of hydraulic motors and checking out their data sheets to see their rpm and torque ratings.
the problem is that in all the data sheets I've seen they did not mention the stating torque which is the torque required to start turning a load. They give the running torque.
In my application the most important thing that i need is a starting torque of 18.3Nm. Running torque is the late story when the motor has gained certain rpm. I don't need a torque of 18.3Nm when motor is in running condition with some hundred rpm. I need the 18.3Nm torque when the vehicle is stationary and the motor is struggling to turn my wheels.
Is there any specific formula to calculate the starting torque from the running torque?
Or if you know any catalogues or manufacturer websites that would give this information kindly inform me.

Last edited:
At one point, you will have to talk with the manufacturers, as this will depends on the construction of the motor. For example, http://www.stfmotor.com/pid14649/starting+torque+hydraulic+motor.htm built especially for high starting torque claims 90% of running value.

Yes...i also found in some websites that generally the starting torque of gear and vane hydraulic motors would be around 70 percent of their continues torque rating

1. What factors should be considered when selecting a hydraulic motor?

There are several factors that should be considered when selecting a hydraulic motor, including the required speed, torque, and power of the motor, the operating pressure and flow rate of the hydraulic system, the type of load the motor will be powering, and the desired efficiency and reliability of the motor.

2. How do I determine the required speed and torque of a hydraulic motor?

The required speed and torque of a hydraulic motor can be determined by calculating the work or power requirements of the load it will be powering. This can be done by considering the weight, distance, and speed of the load, as well as any additional factors such as friction or incline.

3. What are the different types of hydraulic motors available?

There are several types of hydraulic motors available, including gear motors, vane motors, piston motors, and radial piston motors. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the best option will depend on the specific application and requirements.

4. How do I ensure the hydraulic motor is compatible with my system?

To ensure compatibility, it is important to consider the operating pressure and flow rate of the hydraulic system and select a motor that can handle these parameters. It is also important to consider the mounting and connection options of the motor and ensure they are compatible with the rest of the system.

5. What maintenance and care is required for a hydraulic motor?

Regular maintenance and care are important for ensuring the longevity and efficiency of a hydraulic motor. This may include regular lubrication, checking for leaks, and replacing worn parts. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for operating pressure and temperature limits.