Can light travel as a longitudinal wave?

In summary, the direction of oscillation for charges in motion is parallel to the direction of travel in a vacuum. However, for EM waves, the direction of oscillation is perpendicular to the direction of travel due to its two polarization states. If there were three polarization states, then EM waves could potentially have a longitudinal component.
k9b4
If i have a charge in a vacuum, and I oscillate it at some frequency in x direction, other charges along the x direction will be caused to oscillate in the x direction.

So why was I always taught that the direction of oscillation is always perpendicular to the direction of travel for EM waves?

Science news on Phys.org
Charges in motion constitute an electric current.

k9b4 said:
If i have a charge in a vacuum, and I oscillate it at some frequency in x direction, other charges along the x direction will be caused to oscillate in the x direction.

So why was I always taught that the direction of oscillation is always perpendicular to the direction of travel for EM waves?
What you describe is only a near field effect, so it isn't properly an EM wave at all.

EM waves are transverse because they have two polarization states. If you wish to make an argument that they can be longitudinal also then you must show that they have 3 polarization states.

Likes Rolliet and davenn

1. Can light travel as a longitudinal wave?

Yes, light can travel as a longitudinal wave under certain conditions. In a vacuum, light behaves as a transverse electromagnetic wave. However, when passing through a medium such as a gas or liquid, light can exhibit properties of both longitudinal and transverse waves.

2. How is a longitudinal wave different from a transverse wave?

A longitudinal wave is a type of wave where the particles of the medium vibrate parallel to the direction of wave propagation. This is different from a transverse wave, where the particles vibrate perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation.

3. What are some examples of longitudinal waves?

Sound waves, seismic waves, and pressure waves are all examples of longitudinal waves. In some cases, light can also behave as a longitudinal wave, such as in certain types of spectroscopy or in the near-field region of an antenna.

4. Can light only travel as a longitudinal wave in certain mediums?

Yes, light can only travel as a longitudinal wave in certain mediums. In a vacuum, light behaves as an electromagnetic wave, which is transverse. However, when passing through a medium with a high refractive index, such as a solid, light can exhibit properties of longitudinal waves.

5. How does the wavelength of a longitudinal wave compare to the wavelength of a transverse wave?

The wavelength of a longitudinal wave is typically longer than the wavelength of a transverse wave. This is because the particles in a longitudinal wave are oscillating parallel to the direction of wave propagation, while the particles in a transverse wave are oscillating perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation.