Can Pair Production Occur if Positron and Electron Have the Same Rest Energy?

In summary,The Attempt at a Solution found that the energy of photons required for pair production is at least the energy of mc^2. This means that no pair production can occur.
Kiwithepike

Homework Statement

If positron and electron have the same rest energy can pair production occur?

Homework Equations

E=hc/λ Plancks equation
E=mc^2

The Attempt at a Solution

so i found the E of the photons using Plancks equation
and found the photon E to be 6.83x10^-14 ( should I double this due to two photons required?)
so
for pair production the energy of the photons has to be at least the energy of mc^2
so i just added the positron and electrons masses and multiplied by c^2
and got 1.64x10^-13
did i do this correctly? so Ephoton < E of Positron and electron so no pair production can occur?
am i missing anything or do something wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You still seem to be leaving out information. Could you please post the entire text of the problem?

heres the first part
A. Use wiens law to determine the peak wavelength of blackbody photons where T = 10^9K
so λ= 2.9x10^-3 / 10^9
=> λ = 2.9x10^-12
then
B. use Planck Eq to determine the energy of the photons
E = hc/λ => E = (6.6x10^-25)(3x10^8)/ 2.9x10^-12 => E = 6.83x10^-14

C. The positron and electron where created by pair production (ie. Photon + photon --> Positron + Electron). If Both positron and electron have the same "rest energy" show whether or pair production can occur.
I tried using E=mc^2
I know that the energy of the photns must be atleast the energy of the posi and electron.
so mc^2 is the energy of the electron and positron.
used m as (9.109x10^-31)x2 since the positron and electron have the same mass.

Last edited:
You need to include units on your numbers. You've calculated the individual energies correctiy. You just need to make sure the initial energy exceeds the minimum energy of electron-positron pair.

ok il make sure to add units,
just for clarification is the E i calculated in step B the initial ? and if it's not larger they can't be formed right?

thanks for all the help!

What is pair production?

Pair production is a phenomenon in which a photon (a particle of light) creates a pair of particles, usually an electron and a positron (the antimatter counterpart of an electron), in the presence of a nucleus or other strong electric field.

What is the significance of pair production?

Pair production is significant because it provides evidence for the existence of antimatter and demonstrates the duality of particles and waves in quantum mechanics. It also has many practical applications in fields such as medical imaging and particle accelerators.

What are the conditions necessary for pair production to occur?

Pair production requires a minimum amount of energy equal to the rest mass of the two particles being produced (e=mc²). This energy can be supplied by a high-energy photon or by a collision between particles. It also requires the presence of a nucleus or other strong electric field to conserve momentum and energy.

Can pair production occur in a vacuum?

Yes, pair production can occur in a vacuum as long as there is enough energy present to create the particle-antiparticle pair. In fact, most pair production experiments are conducted in a vacuum to prevent interference from other particles.

Is pair production reversible?

Yes, pair production is reversible through a process called annihilation. When a particle and its antiparticle come into contact, they can annihilate each other and release their energy in the form of photons. This process is the reverse of pair production and is used in medical imaging techniques such as PET scans.