Can Resistance Exceed a Mass's Top Speed in Theory?

• Thread starter Gaffig
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of a moving mass and its maximum speed. The question is whether there is any evidence or theory to suggest that the resistance to a moving mass can exceed its top speed. The speaker also mentions being young to science and asks for a gentle explanation.
Gaffig
If some mass is moving at it's highest speed is there anything that can prove that the resistance to that mass should actually exceed the speed of that mass' top speed to resist? Elementary question for you brainiacs :) but I really want to know if resistance speed might in theory exceed said mass top speed for a reason! Anyone know of a law or theory regarding this? I am young to science so please go easy on me, thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A moving mass has no "highest speed". Even if it is going close to the speed of light, you can always accelerate it and it will go a little bit faster. I have no idea what you mean by "resistance speed".

Related to Can Resistance Exceed a Mass's Top Speed in Theory?

1. What is inertia?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its state of motion. It is a property of matter and is directly related to an object's mass. The greater the mass of an object, the greater its inertia.

2. How does inertia relate to speed?

Inertia does not directly affect an object's speed. However, an object with greater inertia will require more force to change its speed compared to an object with lower inertia.

3. Can inertia be overcome?

Yes, inertia can be overcome by applying a force to an object. This force will cause the object to accelerate and change its state of motion.

4. What is the difference between mass and inertia?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while inertia is a property of matter that describes an object's resistance to changes in its state of motion. In other words, mass is a quantitative measure, while inertia is a qualitative property.

5. How is inertia related to Newton's first law of motion?

Newton's first law of motion states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. This is directly related to inertia, as an object's inertia is what causes it to resist changes in its state of motion.