1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone check my answer?

1. Sep 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

14.In wandering, a grizzly bear makes a displacement of 1563 m due west, followed by a displacement of 3348m in a direction 32.0degrees north of west. What are a)the magnitude b) the direction of the displacement needed for the bear to return to its starting point? Specify the direction relative to due east.(pg 4 of notes)

2. Relevant equations
    mag=squareroot of x^2 + y^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I took the x and y components of both vectors A and B. added them up took square root of x^2 and y^2 to get 4438 m. then took the inverse tan of 4438/1563 and got 70.6 degrees East. 2 questions i had was if my formula is correct in that the Magnitude = either the square root of x^2 + y^2 or is it just x^2 + y^2 and for the direction do i take the inverse tan of the x and y components like x over y or do i take the inverse tan of opp/adj which is 4438/1563? Thanks to anyone who can help me check my answer I have no where else to look.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2008 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you take the square root of x2+y2.

For the angle, take the inverse tan of
    y-component / x-component
    (That's opposite/adjacent sides, if you draw a right triangle)

And the direction can't be eastward ... the bear travels west and/or north only.

p.s. Welcome to Physics Forums!

4. Sep 12, 2008 #3

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your method looks fine, but your answers are incorrect. What did you get for the total x-component and the total y-compnent and what exactly did you do to get them?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?