Calculating Displacement of a Grizzly Bear: Homework Solution

• Thread starter deaky220
  • Start date
In summary, the bear's total displacement from its starting point is 4438 m in a direction of 70.6 degrees north of west. To return to its starting point, the bear would need to make a displacement of 4438 m in a direction of 109.4 degrees south of east. The magnitude of the displacement is found by taking the square root of the sum of the squared x and y components, and the direction is found by taking the inverse tan of the y-component over the x-component.
deaky220

Homework Statement

14.In wandering, a grizzly bear makes a displacement of 1563 m due west, followed by a displacement of 3348m in a direction 32.0degrees north of west. What are a)the magnitude b) the direction of the displacement needed for the bear to return to its starting point? Specify the direction relative to due east.(pg 4 of notes)

Homework Equations

mag=squareroot of x^2 + y^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the x and y components of both vectors A and B. added them up took square root of x^2 and y^2 to get 4438 m. then took the inverse tan of 4438/1563 and got 70.6 degrees East. 2 questions i had was if my formula is correct in that the Magnitude = either the square root of x^2 + y^2 or is it just x^2 + y^2 and for the direction do i take the inverse tan of the x and y components like x over y or do i take the inverse tan of opp/adj which is 4438/1563? Thanks to anyone who can help me check my answer I have no where else to look.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you take the square root of x2+y2.

For the angle, take the inverse tan of
y-component / x-component
(That's opposite/adjacent sides, if you draw a right triangle)

And the direction can't be eastward ... the bear travels west and/or north only.

p.s. Welcome to Physics Forums!

deaky220 said:

Homework Statement

14.In wandering, a grizzly bear makes a displacement of 1563 m due west, followed by a displacement of 3348m in a direction 32.0degrees north of west. What are a)the magnitude b) the direction of the displacement needed for the bear to return to its starting point? Specify the direction relative to due east.(pg 4 of notes)

Homework Equations

mag=squareroot of x^2 + y^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I took the x and y components of both vectors A and B. added them up took square root of x^2 and y^2 to get 4438 m. then took the inverse tan of 4438/1563 and got 70.6 degrees East. 2 questions i had was if my formula is correct in that the Magnitude = either the square root of x^2 + y^2 or is it just x^2 + y^2 and for the direction do i take the inverse tan of the x and y components like x over y or do i take the inverse tan of opp/adj which is 4438/1563? Thanks to anyone who can help me check my answer I have no where else to look.

Your method looks fine, but your answers are incorrect. What did you get for the total x-component and the total y-compnent and what exactly did you do to get them?

1. How do I know if someone has checked my answer?

Typically, the person checking your answer will reply to your question or post with a comment or response indicating that they have reviewed your answer.

2. Is it okay to ask someone to check my answer?

Yes, it is okay to ask someone to check your answer. However, it is important to make sure that you have put in your own effort and have a reasonable understanding of the question before asking for someone to check your answer.

3. How long does it take for someone to check my answer?

The amount of time it takes for someone to check your answer can vary depending on the complexity of the question and the availability of the person you are asking. It is best to be patient and not expect an immediate response.

4. Can I trust someone to check my answer?

Before asking someone to check your answer, it is important to make sure that they are a reliable source and have a good understanding of the subject matter. It is also helpful to ask for an explanation or reasoning behind any corrections or suggestions they may have.

5. What should I do if someone has checked my answer and it is incorrect?

If someone has checked your answer and it is incorrect, it is important to thank them for their effort and ask for clarification on where you went wrong. Use their feedback to learn and improve your understanding of the subject matter.