Can someone help me simplify this ellipse equation?

In summary, the problem involves graphing the equation 15(x+2)^2 + (y+3)^2/4 = 4, and the solution requires dividing both sides by 4, collecting the denominators into the form a^2 and b^2, and identifying the values of h and k. Multiplying by 15 can also be rewritten as dividing by 1/15.
iamsmooth

Homework Statement

Graph the following:
[tex]15(x+2)^2 + \frac{(y+3)^2}{4} = 4[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{(x-h)^2}{a^2}+\frac{(y-k)^2}{b^2}=1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't seem to get both coefficients to 1, since the right side is only 4. If I multiply the whole thing by 4, I can get rid of the denominator on the y term, but then the coefficient of the x jumps to 60, and 60 won't reduce the coefficient to 1. So I'm stuck. Can anyone help? This is not homework, just a practice question that's bugging me...

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to divide both sides by 4 so that you get a 1 on right hand side. Now you only need to collect the denominators into the form a2 and b2 and identify what h and k is. If you have trouble with the 15 then notice that multiplying something with 15 is the same as dividing by 1/15.

Related to Can someone help me simplify this ellipse equation?

1. What is an ellipse in standard form?

An ellipse in standard form is a type of conic section that is defined by an equation in the form of (x-h)^2/a^2 + (y-k)^2/b^2 = 1, where (h,k) represents the center of the ellipse and a and b represent the horizontal and vertical radius, respectively.

2. How is the standard form of an ellipse different from other forms?

The standard form of an ellipse is different from other forms, such as general form or parametric form, because it allows for easy identification of the center, radius, and eccentricity of the ellipse. It also simplifies the process of graphing and solving equations involving ellipses.

3. What is the significance of the coefficients a and b in the standard form equation?

The coefficients a and b in the standard form equation represent the horizontal and vertical radius of the ellipse, respectively. These values determine the size and shape of the ellipse, with a being the longer radius and b being the shorter radius.

4. Can the standard form of an ellipse have a negative value for a or b?

Yes, the standard form of an ellipse can have a negative value for a or b, which indicates that the ellipse is stretched or compressed in the corresponding direction. However, the values of a and b cannot be equal to or greater than zero, as this would result in a degenerate ellipse (i.e. a line or a point).

5. How can the standard form equation of an ellipse be used to find its eccentricity?

The standard form equation of an ellipse can be used to find its eccentricity by calculating the value of c, where c^2 = a^2 - b^2. The eccentricity, represented by e, is then given by e = c/a. This value indicates how "stretched out" the ellipse is, with e = 0 representing a circle and e = 1 representing a line.