Calculating Speed on a 10m High Slope with a Starting Speed of 5.0 m/s

• Thread starter ghad58@yahoo.
  • Start date
In summary, the skier is coasting down a 10m high slope with an initial speed of 5.0 m/s. The conservation of energy principle can be used to determine the final speed at the bottom of the slope, where the mass of the skier cancels out of the equation. The final velocity can be solved for using the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and the height of the slope.
ghad58@yahoo.

Homework Statement

A skier coasts down a very smooth, 10m high slope. If the speed of the skier on top of the slope is 5.0 m/s what's the speed at the bottom of the slope.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to take gravity into consideration right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would use conservation of energy

KEi + PEi = KEf + PEf

Does that help?

I'm sorry but I can't seem to set this problem up, I have been doing this homework for 3 hours and this problem seems so easy. to Pe = mgy, but i have a brain fart on finding mass.
Kinetic - energy of Motion (1/2mv^2). can yo walk me through it please

You do not need the mass of the skier because it will cancel out of the equation.

1/2mvi^2 + mgy = 1/2mvf^2

The masses cancel out. You then have the initial velocity, the g, the y, and thus you should be able to solve for the final velocity. Now do you get it?

yes thank you

1. Can someone help with Very Easy experiments?

Yes, there are many resources available online for Very Easy experiments. You can also ask for help from fellow scientists or reach out to your university or research institution for assistance.

2. How can I find someone to help me with Very Easy tasks?

You can try reaching out to colleagues, posting on online forums or social media groups for scientists, or contacting your university or research institution for assistance. You can also hire a research assistant or collaborate with other scientists.

3. Are there any online communities or forums where I can get help with Very Easy projects?

Yes, there are many online communities and forums for scientists where you can ask for help with Very Easy projects. Some popular ones include ResearchGate, Science Forums, and Reddit's r/AskScience community.

4. How do I know if someone is qualified to help with Very Easy experiments?

You can check their credentials, such as their education and research experience. You can also ask for references or look at their past publications and projects to see if they have experience with Very Easy experiments.

5. What should I do if I need urgent help with Very Easy experiments?

If you need urgent help with Very Easy experiments, you can try reaching out to colleagues or posting on online forums and social media groups for scientists. You can also contact your university or research institution for assistance or consider hiring a research assistant.