1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can someone help

1. Apr 26, 2010 #1
    for a) i've got 1950kn/m as a formula off google said to calculate its PL/4? i cant tell if the 7800 is the load of length?!?

and i'm just stumped on b) full stop...

is anyone familar with eurocodes??

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2010 #2
    7800 looks like the span in mm.
    360 looks like the thickness of the deck in mm
    You need to do the section on actions before attempting the MED and VED.
    PL/4 is the central moment for a point load, but you have a distributed load, which has a different formula.

4. Apr 26, 2010 #3
    sections on actions?
    i'm a newbie to this stuff.

5. Apr 26, 2010 #4
    I've just read your message again. For (a), you can't have units of kN/m because moment is force x distance. Also you do not know the width of the walkway, and so will have to consider a 1 m width. A way to start is to assume a concrete deck which eurocode gives as 25 kN/m3 for reinforced concrete. You should then be able to add up the characteristic loads (self-weight + screed + finishes). Then you will be able to apply code safety factors. Then Calculate Reactions, VED and finally MED. Hope that gives you a direction.

6. Apr 26, 2010 #5
    Thanks!

7. Apr 26, 2010 #6
    If you are "new to this stuff", I suggest you invest in a book such as "Structural elements design manual" by Trevor Draycott and Peter Bullman. Or a similar text by Arya. There are no short cuts without knowing more about your situation.

8. Apr 26, 2010 #7
    honestly i havent got the time to read the book. i have 3 more questions to figure the answers out to by this time tomorrow. but i will bear that in mind. thanks again for the help.

9. Apr 26, 2010 #8
    any idea where to start with these?

Attached Files:

10. Apr 26, 2010 #9
    This is all pretty standard design of elements. Much of it can be answered by referring to the eurocodes themselves (or to the students' extracts published by BSI), but this is not easy if it is new to you. The codes were not written for learning purposes. That's why you need access to a good basic text book. My students do this kind of work over a solid 4-day period with access to books and tutorial help. If you are preparing it for tomorrow, I suggest you concentrate on Qu1. Although the other questions are different, aquaintance with EC2 will make it easier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook