Can someone show me how to Diff Eq?

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diff eq
In summary, the problem asks for the derivative of y with the condition that the original function when evaluated for 1 is negative 2.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

I'm not taking a de class, just curious.

dy/dx = (-5x+10y)/(9x)

y(1) = -2

Use appropriate variable change to solve initial value problem.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I'm given the derivative of function y, and want to know the actual function, with the condition that the original function when evaluated for 1 is negative 2, right?

So, I integrate it, but I have two variables. What should I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you have two variables so you might guess that you're going to have to do two different integrals :)

Typically the first line of attack is determining if a problem is what is called separable. In other words can you get your first order DE to look like

[itex]f(y)dy = f(x)dx[/itex]

At this point you would normally integrate both sides and then solve for y(x) with your initial conditions.

I don't think this ones separable, though and the next method is using integrating factors. I suggest checking out http://www.khanacademy.org for some nifty videos on solving DEs

So, I'm not allowed to just write it as a function of x? I figured that would be okay since the two variables are just x and y like any normal function, no extra one.

What do you mean?

If the derivative is:

y = (-5x + 10y) / (9x)

Isn't that the same as

y = (5x) / (9x-10)?

Is that allowed?

No, that's not right

[itex]y'(x)=(-5x+10y)/9x[/itex]

THAT is the derivative. y'(x) and y(x) aren't the same thing.

I figured that made the difference. thanks for the links!

Since the problem says to use a variable change, you can try u = y/x, then the resulting DE becomes separable.

Bohrok said:
Since the problem says to use a variable change, you can try u = y/x, then the resulting DE becomes separable.

oops didn't even notice that part of the question!

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used to model real-world phenomena in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Why do we need to learn how to solve differential equations?

Differential equations are essential in understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems. They allow us to analyze the change in a system over time and make informed decisions based on the results.

3. Can someone show me the steps to solve a differential equation?

The specific steps to solve a differential equation depend on the type and order of the equation. Generally, the steps involve identifying the type of equation, finding the general solution, and applying initial conditions to obtain a particular solution. It is best to consult a textbook or seek guidance from a math tutor for a step-by-step explanation.

4. Are there different methods for solving differential equations?

Yes, there are several methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, integrating factors, and power series. The choice of method depends on the type and complexity of the equation.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to understand differential equations?

While a strong foundation in calculus and algebra is helpful, it is not necessary to have an in-depth understanding of math to learn how to solve differential equations. With practice and guidance, anyone can grasp the concepts and techniques needed to solve differential equations.