Can Sound Sources on a Straight Road Cause Interference Effects?

In summary, sound interference is the overlapping and interaction of sound waves that can result in either amplification or cancellation of certain frequencies. It can affect the quality of sound by either enhancing or diminishing it. However, it can also be intentionally used in audio engineering to create desired effects. While it cannot be completely eliminated, it can be minimized through proper techniques and equipment placement. The distance between sound sources also plays a role in the level of interference, with closer sources being more likely to cause interference.
rocketman15

Homework Statement

Consider two sources of sound, each of which emits a sound wave of the SAME frequency and the SAME intensity. The sources are located on a straight and level road, relatively close to each other. You, the listener, are also located on this road, about 1/4 mile away from the two sound sources. All 3 objects (source A, source B, and you) are in a straight line. Which, if any, of the statements below is/are true about this situation?

For beats to occur, the sound waves from the two sources must have different frequencies.

If the two sound sources are very close together and you hear an intensity level of 10 dB from one source alone, then the two sources combined will give an intensity level of about 13.01 dB.

If one source is moving away from you and the other source is moving toward you, it is possible that there would be a zero beat frequency heard at your location from the two sources.

If one source is moving toward you, the wavelength of the sound detected from that source will increase.

If the two sources are separated by exactly 4-1/2 wavelengths, there will be constructive interference at your position.

If the two sound sources are rotated horizontally through 90o about their common center-of-mass, you will not hear any sound at your location because of destructive interference.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the answers are:

T (beats are formed by waves with different frequencies)
T (unclear)
F (unclear)
F (frequency will increase, but wavelength will remain the same)
F (there will be deconstructive interference between it is between wavelengths)
F (there will be no change in the interference)

My buddy and I disagree about 2 and 3, but are at a collective loss.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've interspersed your answers with the questions

rocketman15 said:
For beats to occur, the sound waves from the two sources must have different frequencies.
T (beats are formed by waves with different frequencies)
Agreed.

rocketman15 said:
If the two sound sources are very close together and you hear an intensity level of 10 dB from one source alone, then the two sources combined will give an intensity level of about 13.01 dB.
T (unclear)
[strike]Check your maths. I think you've slipped a decimal point somewhere.[/strike]
Edit: no, I have, and I ought to know what 3dB means [kicks self]. Carry on. I'm taking "close together" to mean separation [itex]<<\lambda[/itex], by the way.

rocketman15 said:
If one source is moving away from you and the other source is moving toward you, it is possible that there would be a zero beat frequency heard at your location from the two sources.
F (unclear)
Agreed. You get opposite Doppler shifts, so the frequency difference can never be zero.

rocketman15 said:
If one source is moving toward you, the wavelength of the sound detected from that source will increase.
F (frequency will increase, but wavelength will remain the same)
Agreed it's false, but the speed of sound is not affected by the speed of the source and [itex]c=f\lambda[/itex].

rocketman15 said:
If the two sources are separated by exactly 4-1/2 wavelengths, there will be constructive interference at your position.
F (there will be deconstructive interference between it is between wavelengths)
Agreed.

rocketman15 said:
If the two sound sources are rotated horizontally through 90o about their common center-of-mass, you will not hear any sound at your location because of destructive interference.
F (there will be no change in the interference)
I'd draw this out, if I were you. Where are the sources relative to you in the new configuration?

Last edited:

Related to Can Sound Sources on a Straight Road Cause Interference Effects?

1. What is sound interference?

Sound interference occurs when two or more sound waves overlap and interact with each other, resulting in a change in the overall sound. This can result in either amplification or cancellation of certain frequencies.

2. How does sound interference affect the quality of sound?

Sound interference can either enhance or diminish the quality of sound. When waves are in phase, they can amplify each other and create a louder, fuller sound. But when they are out of phase, they can cancel each other out and create a weaker, distorted sound.

3. Is sound interference always a bad thing?

No, sound interference can be intentionally used in audio engineering to create certain effects, such as echo or reverb. In some cases, it can also improve the overall sound quality by filling in gaps and creating a more balanced sound.

4. Can sound interference be eliminated?

Sound interference cannot be completely eliminated, but it can be minimized through proper sound isolation techniques and equipment placement. However, some level of interference is inevitable in any sound system.

5. How does distance affect sound interference?

The closer two sound sources are to each other, the more likely it is for interference to occur. As the distance between sources increases, the effect of interference decreases. This is why proper speaker placement is important in minimizing interference in sound systems.