Can the Beta Function be Extended to Real Powers?

In summary, the identity given in the original post is valid for p > -1 and q > -1, as shown by the integral representations and the use of the Beta function. However, in order to extend this identity to any real values of p or q, we would need to use analytic continuation and other properties of the Gamma function, which may not always be possible. Therefore, the integral representation may not hold for negative real values of p or q.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
I was looking at some integration problems the other day and I came across this identity:

[tex]\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \sin^{p}x \cos^{q}x dx = \frac{1}{2} \mbox{B} \left( \frac{p+1}{2},\frac{q+1}{2}\right)[/tex]

where B(x,y) is the Beta function, for Re(x) and Re(y) > 0. From the way in which the above formula is derived, it turns out that this is valid for p > -1 and q > -1.

However, I'm interested in seeing if this identity can be extended to allow any real power of p or q. Does anyone know of a similar identity that enables me to solve this for any real p or q, or over any interval?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For [itex]{\text Re}(x),{\text Re}(y)>0[/itex], we can use the integral representations to derive

[tex]B(x,y) = \frac{\Gamma(x)\Gamma(y)}{ \Gamma(x+y)} .[/tex]

Since the gamma function has an extension to complex numbers apart from zero or the negative integers, we can use this formula to extend the beta function to a similar domain.

Thanks for the reply. That's the formula I've been using generally to find values of the beta function; so would it be correct to say that the identity given in the OP is valid for all real p and q, unless p or q are negative integers? So one could use this for negative reals (apart from the integers)?

FeDeX_LaTeX said:
Thanks for the reply. That's the formula I've been using generally to find values of the beta function; so would it be correct to say that the identity given in the OP is valid for all real p and q, unless p or q are negative integers? So one could use this for negative reals (apart from the integers)?

No, the logic doesn't run that way. The integral in your original post is true for p, q > -1. It doesn't matter that you can extend the Beta function to non-(negative integer) values, proving that the integral holds for those values is something you would have to separately show.

For instance, the Gamma function itself is defined via an integral, but only for non-negative arguments. We can analytically continue the Gamma function to complex values, but the integral form is still only equal to the Gamma function along the non-negative real line.

Similarly, I expect that your integral simply won't converge for p, q < -1. If you make the change of variables ##t = \sin x##, I think you'll find that for p or q < -1 the integrand diverges at at least one of the limits (and can't be integrated to give a finite area).

Mute is correct, outside of the positive argument domain, the integral representations of either the Beta or Gamma function are not convergent. The extension here is called analytic continuation. We use other properties of the function that make sense on a larger domain to extend (or continue) the definition of the function to the larger domain. For instance (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_function#The_gamma_function_in_the_complex_plane), for the Gamma function we can use

[tex] \Gamma(x) = \frac{\Gamma(x+n)}{x (x+1)\cdots (x+n-1)}[/tex]

to define the value at a nonpositive value of [itex]x[/itex] in terms of the Gamma function at a positive value of [itex]x[/itex]. The expression that we use here is well-defined, while the integral formula is not.

Related to Can the Beta Function be Extended to Real Powers?

1. What is the purpose of Beta Function Extension?

The Beta Function Extension is a mathematical concept used to extend the range of values that can be computed using the Beta function. It allows for the calculation of the Beta function for complex numbers and negative numbers which are outside the original range of the function.

2. How is Beta Function Extension different from the regular Beta function?

The regular Beta function is defined only for positive real numbers. Beta Function Extension expands the range of the function to include negative numbers and complex numbers by using a different integral representation and analytic continuation techniques.

3. What are the applications of Beta Function Extension?

Beta Function Extension is commonly used in statistical analysis and probability theory, as well as in other fields of mathematics such as complex analysis and number theory. It is also used in physics to solve problems involving quantum mechanics and particle physics.

4. Is Beta Function Extension difficult to understand?

Understanding Beta Function Extension can be challenging due to its use of complex analysis and analytic continuation techniques. However, with a solid understanding of calculus and complex numbers, the concept can be grasped with practice and study.

5. Are there any limitations to Beta Function Extension?

Although Beta Function Extension allows for the calculation of the Beta function for a wider range of numbers, it still has limitations. It cannot be used for all types of complex numbers, and the results may not always be accurate due to the use of approximation methods.