Can the Surface Area of a Sphere be Derived by Integrating Circumferences?

In summary, the person was trying to derive the surface area of a sphere from the circumferences of disks, but they were not able to do so by integrating circumferences or by taking the derivative of the volume. They found a different way to do it by using the differential of arc length. Once they found the differential of arc length, it was easy to find the surface area of the sphere.
armolinasf

Homework Statement

So I wanted to try and derive the surface area of a sphere with radius r. My plan was to basically integrate the circumferences of disks from 0 to r and then multiply it by 2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got this:

4[tex]\pi[/tex]r[tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\int^{\pi/2}_{0}[/tex]cos[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex]

evaluating gives [tex]\pi^{2}[/tex]r[tex]^{2}[/tex] which i obviously not the SA of a sphere.

So I went on to wikipedia and read about archimedes and the proof about how you can derive the SA by the fact that its the derivative of the volume. So my question is why can't it be proven by integrating circumferences or in some similar manner?

Physics news on Phys.org
do this way
at some height above centre,let radius be x.
its width is Rd(theta)
integrate 2*pie*x*r*d(theta)
but x=Rsin(theta)
integrate theta 0 to pie

armolinasf said:

Homework Statement

So I wanted to try and derive the surface area of a sphere with radius r. My plan was to basically integrate the circumferences of disks from 0 to r and then multiply it by 2.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got this:

4[tex]\pi[/tex]r[tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\int^{\pi/2}_{0}[/tex]cos[tex]^{2}[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex]

evaluating gives [tex]\pi^{2}[/tex]r[tex]^{2}[/tex] which i obviously not the SA of a sphere.

So I went on to wikipedia and read about archimedes and the proof about how you can derive the SA by the fact that its the derivative of the volume. So my question is why can't it be proven by integrating circumferences or in some similar manner?
Essentially, for the same reason that you cannot, for example, find the length of the straight line from (0, 0) to (1, 1) by approximating it as n horizontal segments, n vertical segments, summing the lengths and then taking the limit as n goes to infinity. (Each of the n horizontal segments will have length 1/n so their sum is 1 for all n. Each of the n vertical segments will have length 1/n so their sum is 1 for all n. The two sums will be 2 for all n.)

To get the surface area of each such disk, you have to multiply the circumerence of the disk by the differential of arc length for the circle, not just the height of the disk.

At each [itex]\phi[/itex] in polar coordinates, the radius of the disk will be [itex]r= R\sin(\phi)[/itex], where R is the radius of the sphere. The circumference of such a disk will be [itex]2\pi R \sin(\phi)[/itex].

Now, we need to find the differential of arc-length for the circle where, say, [itex]\theta= 0[/itex]. Parametric equations for a sphere of radius R are [itex]x= R\cos(\theta)\sin(\phi)[/itex], [itex]y= R\sin(\theta)\sin(\phi)[/itex], and [itex]z= R\cos(\phi)[/itex]. The circle at [itex]\theta= 0[/itex] is given by [itex]x= R sin(\phi)[/itex], [itex]y= 0[/itex], and [itex]z= R\cos(\phi)[/tex]. The differential of arclength is given by
[tex]ds= \sqrt{\left(\frac{dx}{d\phi}\right)^2+ \left(\frac{dy}{d\phi}\right)^2+ \left(\frac{dz}{d\phi}\right)^2}d\phi[/tex]
[tex]= \sqrt{R^2 cos^2(\phi)+ R^2 sin^2(\phi)}d\phi= R d\phi[/tex]

The surface area of the sphere of radius R is given by
[tex]\int_{\phi= 0}^\pi (2\pi R sin(\phi))(R d\phi)[/tex

If you use your "r", the height above the xy-plane, instead of my "[itex]\phi[/itex]" The raidus of each disk is given by [itex]\sqrt{R^2- r^2}[/itex] rather than [itex]R cos(\phi)[/itex] so the circumference of a disk is [itex]2\pi \sqrt{R^2- r^2}[/itex]

Now for the arclength, your "r" is equivalent to "y" in [itex]x^2+ y^2= R^2[/itex] from which we have [itex]x= \sqrt{R^2- y^2}[/itex],
[tex]\frac{dx}{dy}= \frac{y}{\sqrt{R^2- y^2}}[/tex]
so that
[tex]ds= \sqrt{1+ \frac{y^2}{R^2- y^2}}dy= \frac{R}{\sqrt{R^2- y^2}}dy[/tex]
or, using your "r",
[tex]ds= \frac{R}{\sqrt{R^2- r^2}}dr[/tex]
so the integral for surface area is again very easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thanks, that was very helpful. I'm wondering if there's something I could read about to help with writing equations with latec. Thanks again for the explanation

Related to Can the Surface Area of a Sphere be Derived by Integrating Circumferences?

1. How do you derive the surface area of a sphere?

The surface area of a sphere can be derived using the formula SA = 4πr^2, where r is the radius of the sphere.

2. What is the significance of finding the surface area of a sphere?

The surface area of a sphere is important in various mathematical and scientific calculations, such as determining the volume of a sphere or calculating the amount of material needed to cover a spherical object.

3. Can the surface area of a sphere be calculated using its diameter instead of its radius?

Yes, the surface area of a sphere can also be calculated using the formula SA = πd^2, where d is the diameter of the sphere. However, the radius formula is more commonly used.

4. How is the surface area of a sphere related to its volume?

The surface area and volume of a sphere are mathematically related through the formula SA = 4πr^2 = (4/3)πr^3, where r is the radius of the sphere. This means that the surface area is directly proportional to the square of the radius, while the volume is directly proportional to the cube of the radius.

5. What are some real-life applications of the surface area of a sphere?

The surface area of a sphere has many practical applications, such as in architecture and construction for calculating the surface area of domes, in physics for calculating the surface area of planets or other spherical objects, and in chemistry for determining the surface area of spherical molecules or particles.