Can the Thickness of a 3D Spiral Curve be Defined Parametrically?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of defining the thickness of a spiral curve parametrically and the use of 2D and 3D parametric equations to create shapes such as a flat torus. The conversation also mentions the use of inequalities to define the thickness of a shape and the difficulty of representing a torus on Winplot. A suggested parametric equation for a torus is provided.
sukharef
Hello!
There is a parametric way of defining a spiral curve:
z = a*t;
x = r1*cos(w*t)
y = r2*sin(w*t).
Is there a way to define the thickness of spiral?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Wow, that's an interesting idea. If there is, the thickness is an inequality. I don't know about any 3d parametric graph generators that handle inequality though, so it'd be hard to play with.

Think about a 2d parametric system, defining a circle. Is there a way to give the circle 'width', such that it resembles a flat torus? Ah, in this case what you need is two parametric curves, and then define another system that lies between the earlier curves (Although, I don't think this is what you wanted).

width.png

I defined this system implicitly, not parametrically, but only due to how my graphing software works (Winplot)
$$
x^2 + y^2 \leq (1-A/2)^2
$$
$$
x^2 + y^2 \geq (1+A/2)^2
$$

Unfortunately, I'm not that experienced with 3d parametric equations. I know, though, that a spiral curve with thickness... i.e. a spiral 'cord' is possible to be represented parametrically if the torus is possible. But, unfortunately, I've been having trouble getting the torus to work on Winplot.

Last edited:
This seems like a reasonable attempt:

z=a*t + thickness*cos(u)
x=(r+thickness*cos(u))*cos(w*t)
y=(r+thickness*cos(u))*sin(w*t)

For a surface you'll need two parameters u and t of course.

Related to Can the Thickness of a 3D Spiral Curve be Defined Parametrically?

What is spiral parametrization in 3D?

Spiral parametrization in 3D is a mathematical technique used to represent and analyze three-dimensional objects or surfaces using spiral curves. It involves assigning a set of parameters to a spiral curve that corresponds to points on the surface, allowing for easier visualization and analysis of complex 3D shapes.

How is spiral parametrization used in scientific research?

Spiral parametrization is commonly used in various scientific fields, such as computer graphics, engineering, and physics. It allows researchers to better understand and manipulate 3D objects and surfaces, aiding in the design and analysis of various structures and systems.

What are the advantages of using spiral parametrization in 3D modeling?

One of the main advantages of using spiral parametrization in 3D modeling is its ability to represent complex shapes and surfaces in a simplified manner. It also allows for more efficient and accurate calculations and transformations of 3D models, making it a valuable tool in various applications.

Are there any limitations to spiral parametrization in 3D?

Like any mathematical technique, spiral parametrization in 3D also has its limitations. It may not be suitable for all types of 3D shapes and surfaces, and the accuracy of the representation may vary depending on the chosen parameters and the complexity of the object being modeled.

Can spiral parametrization be applied to higher dimensions?

While spiral parametrization is commonly used in three dimensions, it can also be extended to higher dimensions. However, as the number of dimensions increases, the complexity of the calculations and the limitations of the technique may also increase.