1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

'curve-in' condition in an equiangular spiral

Tags:
  1. Apr 17, 2015 #1
    For any 2 pairs of points (xe,ye) & (xs,ys), I can fit various equiangular spiral through those 2 points based on the equation r = ke^(aθ).

A typical one is illustrated below:

1_zpsfnimiayv.png
    Then, I can vary the origin of the spiral -> i.e. (xc,yc) to generate another equiangular spiral which passes through the same 2 points, such as:

2_zps6753mwjd.png

In the 2nd illustration, the equiangular spiral shows a "curve-in" where-by the spiral curve 'towards' (xc,yc).

The question is: How can I find an expression involving θ and/or the other parameters in the illustration, such that I could determine whether a "curve-in" condition would appear?

UPDATE:

To this end, I understand that the illustration above is a right-handed spiral, with (xc,yc) ≠ (0,0).

By setting r = sqrt((x-xc)^2 + (y-yc)^2) and tan θ = (y-yc)/(x-xc), i could get the cartesian equation of the equiangular spiral as:

`ln((1/k)sqrt((x-xc)^2+(y-yc)^2))- a COT [(y-yc)/(x-xc)]`

I was intending to possibly equate its gradient to infinity and hope that i could place θ somewhere in the equation of gradient, but unfortunately, I am clueless regarding how to differentiate the above equation.

Can I have your advice please?

Regards
    Corse

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I don't see how your spiral equation can give something like the second sketch. It would mean two solutions for r for a given angle, in contradiction to what you have.
    The derivative of r with respect to phi can get very large, but then there is no clear border between different cases.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook