'curve-in' condition in an equiangular spiral

In summary, the conversation discusses the ability to fit equiangular spirals through two given points and the possibility of varying the origin of the spiral. The question is how to determine if a "curve-in" condition would appear in the spiral. The equation for a right-handed equiangular spiral is given and the suggestion of equating its gradient to infinity is mentioned. However, there is confusion about how to differentiate the equation and whether it is possible to have two solutions for r for a given angle.
Corse
For any 2 pairs of points (xe,ye) & (xs,ys), I can fit various equiangular spiral through those 2 points based on the equation r = ke^(aθ).

A typical one is illustrated below:

1_zpsfnimiayv.png

Then, I can vary the origin of the spiral -> i.e. (xc,yc) to generate another equiangular spiral which passes through the same 2 points, such as:

2_zps6753mwjd.png

In the 2nd illustration, the equiangular spiral shows a "curve-in" where-by the spiral curve 'towards' (xc,yc).

The question is: How can I find an expression involving θ and/or the other parameters in the illustration, such that I could determine whether a "curve-in" condition would appear?

UPDATE:

To this end, I understand that the illustration above is a right-handed spiral, with (xc,yc) ≠ (0,0).

By setting r = sqrt((x-xc)^2 + (y-yc)^2) and tan θ = (y-yc)/(x-xc), i could get the cartesian equation of the equiangular spiral as:

`ln((1/k)sqrt((x-xc)^2+(y-yc)^2))- a COT [(y-yc)/(x-xc)]`

I was intending to possibly equate its gradient to infinity and hope that i could place θ somewhere in the equation of gradient, but unfortunately, I am clueless regarding how to differentiate the above equation.

Can I have your advice please?

Regards
Corse

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't see how your spiral equation can give something like the second sketch. It would mean two solutions for r for a given angle, in contradiction to what you have.
The derivative of r with respect to phi can get very large, but then there is no clear border between different cases.

1. What is the 'curve-in' condition in an equiangular spiral?

The 'curve-in' condition in an equiangular spiral is a mathematical property that describes the inward curvature of a spiral. It occurs when the angle of the spiral's curve decreases as it moves inward, resulting in a tighter and more compact shape.

2. How is the 'curve-in' condition calculated in an equiangular spiral?

The 'curve-in' condition is calculated using the spiral's growth factor and the radius of its base circle. Specifically, the curve-in condition can be expressed as the ratio of the growth factor to the radius of the base circle.

3. What is the significance of the 'curve-in' condition in an equiangular spiral?

The 'curve-in' condition is important in equiangular spirals because it determines the shape and behavior of the spiral. A larger curve-in condition results in a more tightly wound spiral, while a smaller curve-in condition produces a more open and spread out spiral.

4. How does the 'curve-in' condition affect the growth of an equiangular spiral?

The 'curve-in' condition directly impacts the rate at which an equiangular spiral grows. A higher curve-in condition results in a faster growth rate, as the spiral is more tightly wound and therefore covers more distance in each rotation. A lower curve-in condition leads to a slower growth rate.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the 'curve-in' condition in equiangular spirals?

Yes, the 'curve-in' condition is used in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and mathematics. Equiangular spirals have been used in the design of curved structures, such as bridges and buildings, as well as in the creation of mathematical models and patterns.