Can the vacuum pump outlet air acts as a blower?

In summary, a vacuum air blower can be used to reduce the pressure inside a container, but a more powerful industrial vacuum pump might be a better choice.
Adilah
Hi,

I'm wondering if a vacuum pump outlet air could be used as a blower?

I have a small open-type wind tunnel that have been used with the vacuum pump by sucking the surrounding air. Could I use the outlet air from the pump to work as a blow-down wind tunnel?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, but it probably won't have much capacity.

Hi Russ,

Thank for your reply. May I know what capacity you mean?

Capacity is the volume per unit time, or as is standard for air movement CFM (cubic feet / minute), of air that will be delivered through the wind tunnel; and, if you are going to use the same wind tunnel, then your vacuum pump will deliver exactly the same capacity when used in a blow-down arrangement.
With a wind tunnel, the important relationship is that the the wind tunnel air velocity through the test section is directly proportional to capacity.
Mathematically, Velocity through the test section = CFM / cross sectional area of the test section.

As a note, regarding your potential conversion, the primary reason that a vacuum type air movement is used as a part of the design that insures the most laminar (nonturbulent) air flow possible through the test section of the tunnel while reducing the overall length of the tunnel. Generally, any type of blower is going to introduce some type of turbulence to the air stream in the tunnel; which, in turn is combated by a long tunnel inlet and some form of straightening vanes. But those two items can introduce air flow disturbances all their own due to potential turbulence origins due to flow friction between the air flow and the tunnel walls and even the surfaces of the straightneing vanes, particularly if high air velocities are required for the testing.

I hope this helps, if you have any more questions? simply ask.
PS Fluid and gas flow are one of my more knowledgeable areas; and, one of my high school science fair projects (some 60 years ago) was a (large) table top high capacity recirculating wind tunnel; that received the second place award.

Likes russ_watters
Hello,

I want to reduce the pressure to 23 mbar inside the container. Is it possible to achieve with the help of vacuum air blower or should I go for industrial vacuum pump ?

1. Can a vacuum pump outlet air be used as a blower?

Yes, a vacuum pump can be used as a blower by reversing its operation. In vacuum mode, the pump removes air from a closed system, creating a vacuum. In blower mode, the pump pushes air into a system, creating pressure.

2. How does a vacuum pump outlet air function as a blower?

A vacuum pump outlet air functions as a blower by reversing the flow of air. In vacuum mode, the pump's inlet is connected to the system and its outlet is open to the atmosphere. In blower mode, the pump's inlet is open to the atmosphere and its outlet is connected to the system.

3. What are the advantages of using a vacuum pump outlet air as a blower?

Using a vacuum pump outlet air as a blower can save space and costs. Instead of purchasing two separate devices, a vacuum pump and a blower, one device can be used for both purposes. Additionally, using a vacuum pump as a blower can be more energy efficient since it already has the necessary mechanisms and power source.

4. Are there any limitations to using a vacuum pump outlet air as a blower?

Yes, there are limitations to using a vacuum pump outlet air as a blower. The pump may not have enough power or airflow to function as a blower for larger systems. Additionally, using a vacuum pump as a blower for extended periods of time may cause wear and tear on the pump's components, reducing its lifespan.

5. What precautions should be taken when using a vacuum pump outlet air as a blower?

When using a vacuum pump outlet air as a blower, it is important to ensure that the pump is designed and rated for both vacuum and blower operations. It is also important to monitor the pump's temperature and pressure to prevent overheating or damage. If using the pump for extended periods of time as a blower, it is recommended to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for maintenance and replacement of parts.