Can we see nuclear explosion from orbit?

In summary: I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are asking.Something we have to think about with this is that a lot of released visual wavelength...I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are asking.
Chitose
As topic says

Can we see Nuclear Explosion form orbit altitued? or even form space?

Just curious.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can see manmade buildings from space. A nuclear explosion is certainly bigger and brighter than any manmade building. We can also see nuclear explosions in space quite easily; see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfish_Prime

ideasrule said:
You can see manmade buildings from space. A nuclear explosion is certainly bigger and brighter than any manmade building. We can also see nuclear explosions in space quite easily; see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfish_Prime

Errr, which buildings exactly? As well you more than likely would not be able to see the actually explosion (as in the visible energy coming out) from space. Our average nuclear bombs aren't really 'that' powerful. You might be able to see just the first few moments of the explosion if you knew where to look and were given good conditions but it wouldn't last too long and would probably just look like a 'bright' point. Space is quite a distance. The average nuclear bomb however would have no problem pushing a mushroom cloud through and over most clouds. The problem is knowing what and where/when to look for it.

Unless the OP means by the aided eye, in which case everything is visible

Last edited:
Assuming by "space" the OP just means low Earth orbit, a nuclear explosion is orders of magnitude larger than what is necessary to see with the unaided eye. From LEO, you can see a large campfire! Or consider it from the other direction: you can see most satellites with the naked eye from the ground. They are much, much dimmer than a nuclear explosion as they are merely reflecting light from the sun. Then, certain satellites with flat, reflective surfaces will "flare", reflecting direct sunlight to a small area on earth. These are spectaclarly bright to the naked eye - much brighter than any star or planet. http://www.satobs.org/iridium.html

zomgwtf said:
Errr, which buildings exactly?
Some links I've seen put the human eye's resolution at 0.6 arcmin: http://clarkvision.com/imagedetail/eye-resolution.html

The ISS is at an altitude of 173 miles, so at that resolution, the unaided human eye can resolve an object 159 feet wide. There are individual buildings larger than that.

You can probably see an airburst nuke on Earth from the Moon.

Bright as the sun.

I sincerely hope we never see one from space.

russ_watters said:
Assuming by "space" the OP just means low Earth orbit, a nuclear explosion is orders of magnitude larger than what is necessary to see with the unaided eye. From LEO, you can see a large campfire! Or consider it from the other direction: you can see most satellites with the naked eye from the ground. They are much, much dimmer than a nuclear explosion as they are merely reflecting light from the sun. Then, certain satellites with flat, reflective surfaces will "flare", reflecting direct sunlight to a small area on earth. These are spectaclarly bright to the naked eye - much brighter than any star or planet. http://www.satobs.org/iridium.html

I had an Iridium flare happen to me just last week. I was using my finder scope to get set up on M42 and this big flash happened. Scared the poo out of me!

I've seen a couple unexpectedly, but assumed I knew what they were and was just upset I didn't have a camera ready. You can jump onto www.heavensabove.com to confirm what you just saw.

russ_watters said:
You can probably see an airburst nuke on Earth from the Moon.

Funnily enough, I was just thinking the very same thing yesterday, as I was reading about the largest bomb ever made by humans, a 57 megaton hydrogen bomb that the Russians detonated over Novaja Zelmlja in 1961. (LINK)

Max Faust said:
Funnily enough, I was just thinking the very same thing yesterday, as I was reading about the largest bomb ever made by humans, a 57 megaton hydrogen bomb that the Russians detonated over Novaja Zelmlja in 1961. (LINK)

The average nuclear weapon is far from this size, lol. I think in America they are on average 100-300kT. In Russia they go up to 500kT.

zomgwtf said:
The average nuclear weapon is far from this size, lol. I think in America they are on average 100-300kT. In Russia they go up to 500kT.

"Average"? Maybe, but megaton yield is not unusual.

Here's an interesting link: http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Weapons/Allbombs.html

pallidin said:
"Average"? Maybe, but megaton yield is not unusual.

Here's an interesting link: http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Weapons/Allbombs.html

I guess I should have said the average active weapon to make it clearer what I was saying. Yes there was a time period where people thought that making powerful weapons was the best and so big weapons exist. Most are not active though, majority are retired and recycled for other weapons.

Something we have to think about with this is that a lot of released visual wavelength energy gets absorbed before leaving the atmosphere. A HANE would definitely be visible but a ground explosion, I'm not sure... it'd probably just be a really quick flash which would be obscured quickly

Chitose said:
As topic says

Can we see Nuclear Explosion form orbit altitued? or even form space?

Just curious.

Absolutely.

Max Faust said:
Funnily enough, I was just thinking the very same thing yesterday, as I was reading about the largest bomb ever made by humans, a 57 megaton hydrogen bomb that the Russians detonated over Novaja Zelmlja in 1961.

It all depends what you are looking with... If you are using your eyes, distance is finite... If you are using an gamma ray/xray telescope pointed in the right spot... you could see one from light years away.

You can easily see lightning from orbit, which it is much less brightness and duration than a nuclear explosion.

zomgwtf said:
Something we have to think about with this is that a lot of released visual wavelength energy gets absorbed before leaving the atmosphere. A HANE would definitely be visible but a ground explosion, I'm not sure... it'd probably just be a really quick flash which would be obscured quickly

Not that much. A nuke is VERY bright, MUCH brighter than you think it is. The flash, fireball, and resulting cloud would very easily be seen from orbit.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the only thing you can see from space is the Great Wall of China. However, I don't think this is right because China is on the other side of the earth. Maybe they mean at night. Anyway, here is a website that might help.
A nuclear explosion as seen from space.

1. Can we see a nuclear explosion from orbit?

Yes, a nuclear explosion can be seen from orbit. However, the visibility depends on various factors such as the size of the explosion, the altitude of the orbit, and the atmospheric conditions.

2. How far away can a nuclear explosion be seen from orbit?

The distance at which a nuclear explosion can be seen from orbit depends on the size of the explosion. For a larger explosion, it can be seen from a farther distance compared to a smaller explosion. Generally, it can be seen from hundreds of kilometers away.

3. What altitude is needed to see a nuclear explosion from orbit?

The altitude needed to see a nuclear explosion from orbit can vary depending on the size of the explosion and the atmospheric conditions. In general, it is recommended to be at an altitude of at least 500 kilometers to clearly see a nuclear explosion.

4. Can a nuclear explosion be seen from the International Space Station (ISS)?

Yes, a nuclear explosion can be seen from the ISS if it is at a low enough altitude and the explosion is large enough. However, the ISS is usually at an altitude of around 400 kilometers which may not be ideal for viewing a nuclear explosion.

5. How long can a nuclear explosion be seen from orbit?

The duration of a nuclear explosion's visibility from orbit can vary depending on the size of the explosion, the altitude of the orbit, and the atmospheric conditions. Generally, it can be seen for a few seconds to a few minutes before dissipating into the atmosphere.