Can you assess my course load this semester?

In summary, the speaker is graduating with a math degree and is taking four classes: Real Analysis 1, Numerical Analysis 2, Electrodynamics, and Spanish literature. They are considering adding General Topology but are worried about the workload. Some people believe topology and analysis complement each other, but others think it may be too much to handle. The speaker has experience with proofs and is a math major, but does not necessarily need Electrodynamics for their major. They ultimately decide against taking topology and mention their acceptance to a graduate program.
Hercuflea
Hi guys this semester I am graduating this semester with a math degree and I am for sure taking these four classes:

1. Real Analysis 1
2. Numerical analysis 2 (differential equations/pde's, more advanced methods than numerical methods 1)
3. Electrodynamics (griffiths)
4. Spanish literature (this is a class that I have to take to finish my minor in spanish. It's probably not hard just a pain in the butt due to having to write papers every week which will take away time from math and physics.)

I wanted to ask you all if you think adding General Topology would be too much to handle? What I am most worried about is taking general topology and real analysis at the same time. I am also a TA and in student government, and I do a few hours of undergraduate mathematics research per week. The topology course is probably around the level of Munkres, but would be taught in a Moore-method style and using the professor's notes.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to answer this for you. Some will be able to handle it, others don't. Have you tried semesters with 5 classes already? How did you do? Did you make some kind of study schedule (saying how many hours each day/week you would spend on what)?

That said, topology and analysis complement each other nicely. The understanding of one topic should aid the other. So that's a good point.

On the other hand, I never took a Moore methods course, but it seems to be time intensive. And real analysis is not the easiest class ever. Do you have experience with proofs and epsilon-delta arguments already?

You're a math major, so do you even need Electrodynamics?

From my experiences, I wish I had taken Topology either as a prerequisite to analysis or as a co-requisite. Although it is perfectly possible to do well in analysis without topology, it is a beautiful subject that makes many of the arguments in analysis a lot clearer- as many arguments in analysis are topological.

R136a1 said:
It's hard to answer this for you. Some will be able to handle it, others don't. Have you tried semesters with 5 classes already? How did you do? Did you make some kind of study schedule (saying how many hours each day/week you would spend on what)?

That said, topology and analysis complement each other nicely. The understanding of one topic should aid the other. So that's a good point.

On the other hand, I never took a Moore methods course, but it seems to be time intensive. And real analysis is not the easiest class ever. Do you have experience with proofs and epsilon-delta arguments already?

Well for example last semester I took numerical analysis 1, abstract algebra 1, plasma physics, and undergraduate mathematics research also TAing and student government and going to conferences and received all A's. We had to learn the epsilon-delta proof in numerical analysis. Also abstract algebra had a lot of proofs even though I hated the material itself.

esuna said:
You're a math major, so do you even need Electrodynamics?

Not for my major, but I will (fingers crossed) be doing plasma physics research in an engineering department next year in graduate school. I really appreciate pure mathematics and want to learn it, but I do not want to do a PhD in mathematics.

Theorem. said:
From my experiences, I wish I had taken Topology either as a prerequisite to analysis or as a co-requisite. Although it is perfectly possible to do well in analysis without topology, it is a beautiful subject that makes many of the arguments in analysis a lot clearer- as many arguments in analysis are topological.

This is what the topology professor told me. I really want to learn topology but would combining it with real analysis be overkill?

I think Topology is overdoing it. This is your last undergraduate semester and if the coursework you are about to undertake is an indication of your earlier preparation, leave some time for fun. It looks like you deserve it. (P.S. I did space plasma physics research. I had functional analysis but no topology.)

Thank you for your reply. I decided against topology. I am currently bogged down enough as it is with the others. However, I was accepted to UW-Madison for Nuclear Engineering! I might pick up topology or functional analysis later in grad school.

1. Can you assess my course load this semester?

As a scientist, I am not equipped to assess your course load. However, I can provide some general advice on managing your workload.

2. How many courses should I take in one semester?

The number of courses you should take in one semester depends on your individual abilities, workload, and time management skills. It is important to find a balance that allows you to effectively learn and manage your workload.

3. What is a manageable course load?

A manageable course load is one that allows you to successfully complete your assignments and exams without feeling overwhelmed or sacrificing your mental and physical well-being. It is important to assess your own limits and workload before determining what is manageable for you.

4. How do I know if my course load is too heavy?

If you are consistently struggling to keep up with your assignments and exams, feeling overwhelmed and stressed, and not able to maintain a healthy balance between school and personal life, your course load may be too heavy. It is important to prioritize and possibly reduce your workload to avoid burnout.

5. What should I do if I am struggling with my course load?

If you are struggling with your course load, it is important to reach out for help. You can speak to your academic advisor, seek tutoring or study groups, or talk to your professors about your concerns. It is also important to prioritize and manage your time effectively to reduce stress and improve your academic performance.