Can you help me understand this trig integration problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem encountered in a Calculus textbook and the use of the chain rule to solve it. The expert suggests using a definite integral and explains the relationship between the constants in the solution. The individual also mentions trying to graph the equations for better understanding.
EWW
Hello everybody,

I've encountered the following problem in Morris Kline's textbook on Calculus (chapter 10, section 5, ex. 2) that I can't seem to understand-

if y' = sin x cos x, then if I set u = sin x, then du/dx = cos x (chain rule), then y = (sin^2 x) / 2. If I set u = cos x, then du/dx= -sin x, so I multiply the RHS of y' by -1/-1 and eventually arrive at y = -(cos^2 x) / 2. Then y = (sin^2 x) / 2 = - (cos^2 x) / 2. What's wrong?

I've been getting other problems in this section, but this one has me stumped . . . . plus I feel that I'm missing something important. Thanks, EW

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't be sure that y = sin^2(x)/2. Rather, you should have y = sin^2(x)/2 + C where C is an undetermined constant, as y' still gives you sin(x)cos(x). Now you have sin^2(x)/2 + C_1 = -cos^2(x)/2 + C_2, which is a true equation. If we carry on, we see that C_2 - C_1 = 1/2. Have you tried graphing these equations?

EWW said:
Hello everybody,

I've encountered the following problem in Morris Kline's textbook on Calculus (chapter 10, section 5, ex. 2) that I can't seem to understand-

if y' = sin x cos x, then if I set u = sin x, then du/dx = cos x (chain rule), then y = (sin^2 x) / 2. If I set u = cos x, then du/dx= -sin x, so I multiply the RHS of y' by -1/-1 and eventually arrive at y = -(cos^2 x) / 2. Then y = (sin^2 x) / 2 = - (cos^2 x) / 2. What's wrong?

I've been getting other problems in this section, but this one has me stumped . . . . plus I feel that I'm missing something important. Thanks, EW

Perhaps the best way to evaluate this function is to use a definite integral, rather than an indefinite with an unknown constant of integration. When you use the definite integral you get (sin^2x1) /2 – (sin^2x2) /2 = - (cos^2x1) /2 – (cos^2x2) /2. You will find that this equality holds for all values of x (in radians).
Note: x1 and x2 are the upper and lower limits of the definite integral.

slider142 said:
You can't be sure that y = sin^2(x)/2. Rather, you should have y = sin^2(x)/2 + C where C is an undetermined constant, as y' still gives you sin(x)cos(x). Now you have sin^2(x)/2 + C_1 = -cos^2(x)/2 + C_2, which is a true equation. If we carry on, we see that C_2 - C_1 = 1/2. Have you tried graphing these equations?

thanks, the equation makes immediate sense to me once I remind myself that sin^2 x + cos^2 x = 1 . . . I will try graphing these because it is still a little strange to me why the constants should be related in some way.

Related to Can you help me understand this trig integration problem?

1. What is a trigonometric integration problem?

A trigonometric integration problem is a type of calculus problem that involves finding the integral (or area under the curve) of a function that contains trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, or tangent. These problems typically require the use of trigonometric identities and techniques to solve.

2. How do you solve a trigonometric integration problem?

To solve a trigonometric integration problem, you first need to identify the appropriate trigonometric identity or substitution to use. Then, you can manipulate the integral using algebraic techniques to make it easier to solve. After that, you can evaluate the integral using integration rules or techniques, such as integration by parts or trigonometric substitution.

3. What are some common trigonometric identities used in integration problems?

Some common trigonometric identities used in integration problems include the Pythagorean identities (sin^2x + cos^2x = 1 and tan^2x + 1 = sec^2x), the double angle identities (sin2x = 2sinxcosx and cos2x = cos^2x - sin^2x), and the half-angle identities (sin(x/2) = ±√[(1-cosx)/2] and cos(x/2) = ±√[(1+cosx)/2]).

4. What are some tips for solving trigonometric integration problems?

Some tips for solving trigonometric integration problems include: identifying common trigonometric identities, using substitution to simplify the integral, and being familiar with integration techniques such as integration by parts and trigonometric substitution. It is also important to carefully check your work and make sure you are using the correct trigonometric identities and integration rules.

5. Are there any online resources or tools available for solving trigonometric integration problems?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available for solving trigonometric integration problems. These include integration calculators, step-by-step solutions on math websites, and instructional videos on platforms like YouTube. Additionally, many textbooks and study guides have sections dedicated to solving trigonometric integration problems with examples and practice problems.