Can You Multiply to Remove Water or Hydrogen in Balancing Redox Equations?

• Thread starter Dooga Blackrazor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Redox
In summary, when balancing Redox Equations in Acid/Base, you can multiply to get a common factor for electrons, but after canceling out the electrons, you should not multiply by another common factor to remove water or hydrogen. Adding water may be necessary in basic solutions, but it should be done after balancing the charge with electrons.
Dooga Blackrazor
I am doing Redox Equations in Acid/Base. Anyway, I have one question. I know that you multiply to get a common factor for electrons. However, after you cancel out your electrons, can you multiply by another common factor to remove water or hydrogen? I am leaning towards no, but I am not sure.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Show an example, I am not sure I understand what you mean.

You're balancing the equation, right? After you've added electrons to balance the charge, that should be your last step. However if the solution is basic, you can add water in order to cancel out all the hydrogens.

Related to Can You Multiply to Remove Water or Hydrogen in Balancing Redox Equations?

1. What is the purpose of balancing redox equations?

The purpose of balancing redox equations is to ensure that the number of atoms of each element and the overall charge are equal on both the reactant and product sides of the equation. This is necessary in order to accurately represent the chemical reaction that is taking place.

2. How do you determine the oxidation numbers of elements in a redox equation?

Oxidation numbers can be determined by following a set of rules, such as assigning a 0 oxidation number to elements in their elemental form, and using the charge of ions to determine the oxidation number of that element. Additionally, the more electronegative element in a compound is typically assigned a negative oxidation number, while the less electronegative element is assigned a positive oxidation number.

3. What is the difference between oxidation and reduction?

Oxidation refers to the process of losing electrons, while reduction refers to the process of gaining electrons. In a redox reaction, one reactant is oxidized and one is reduced, resulting in a transfer of electrons between the two.

4. How do you balance redox equations using the half-reaction method?

The half-reaction method involves splitting the redox equation into two half-reactions: the oxidation half-reaction and the reduction half-reaction. Balance the atoms and charges in each half-reaction separately, and then combine them to create a balanced overall equation.

5. What are some common tips for balancing redox equations?

Some tips for balancing redox equations include:

• Balance the elements that appear in the equation other than oxygen and hydrogen first.
  • Balance oxygen atoms by adding water molecules to the appropriate side of the equation.
  • Balance hydrogen atoms by adding H+ ions to the appropriate side of the equation.
  • Balance the charges by adding electrons to the appropriate side of the equation.
  • Make sure the number of electrons lost in the oxidation half-reaction is equal to the number of electrons gained in the reduction half-reaction.