Can You Solve These Linear Algebra Questions?

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, you substituted (0, 1, -1) for (a, b, c) in order to solve the equations a- b= 0, a+ 2b+ c= 1, -2a+ b- c= -1 for a, b, and c but you can easily find the matrix representation using the method I've told you about 2 or 3 times before.
Physics news on Phys.org
You complain "I got the same vector as before"- of course you did, you just went around in circles! Do exactly what I suggested before: apply the linear transformation to each of the basis vectors, and write the result in that basis. Of course, since your original matrix is the linear transformation in the [itex]\{u_1, u_2, u_3\}[/itex] basis, you have to apply the matrix to the new basis vectors, [itex]\{u_1, u_1- u_2, u_1+ u_2+ u_3\}[/itex] , written in that basis. The first "new" basis vector is just [itex]u_1= 1(u_1)+ 0(u_2)+ 0(u_3)[/itex] itself and
[tex]Tu_1= \left[\begin{array}{ccc} -2 & 1 & 3 \\ 0 & 1 & 2 \\ 0 & 2 & -2\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{array}\right]= \left[\begin{array}{c} -2 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{array}\right][/tex]
Since this involves only u1 which is the same in both bases, the first column of the matrix, in this new basis, is again [-2 0 0].

The second new basis vector is (1)u1+ (-1)u2+ 0u3:
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccc} -2 & 1 & 3 \\ 0 & 1 & 2 \\ 0 & 2 & -2\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c} 1 \\ -1 \\ 0 \end{array}\right]= \left[\begin{array}{c} -1 \\ 1 \\ 1 \end{array}\right][/tex]

That is, still, in the [itex]\{u_1, u_2, u_3\}[/itex] basis. We need to convert to the new [itex]\{u_1, u_2, u_3\}[/itex] basis by solving [itex]-1(u_1)+ 1(u_2)+ 1(u_3)= a(u_1)+ b(u_1- u_2)+ c(u_1+ u_2+ u_3)[/itex] for a, b, and c. We can "combine like terms" as [itex](-1-a- b- c)u_1+ (1+ b- c)u_3+ (1- c)u_3= 0[/itex]. Since a basis must be independent, each of those coefficients must be 0. 1- c= 0 so c= 1. 1+ b- c= 1+ b- 1= 0 so b= 0. Finally, -1-a-b-c= -1-a-0-1= 0 so a= 2. That vector can be written as [itex]2u_1+ 0(u_1- u_2)+ 1(u_1+ u_2+ u_3)[/itex] and the second column is [2 0 1].

The last new basis vector is [itex]1u_1+ 1u_2+ 1u_3[/itex] so
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccc} -2 & 1 & 3 \\ 0 & 1 & 2 \\ 0 & 2 & -2\end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 1 \\ 1 \end{array}\right]= \left[\begin{array}{c} 2 \\ 3 \\ 0 \end{array}\right][/tex]
Again, that is in the [itex]\{u_1, u_2, u_3\}[/itex] basis. We have to solve [itex]2u_1+ 3u_2+ 0u_3= a(u_1)+ b(u_1- u_2)+ c(u_1+u_2+u_3)[/itex]. That is the same as [itex](a+ b+ c)u_1+ (-b+ c)u_2+ cu_3= 2u_1+ 3u_2+ 0u_3[/itex] and so c= 0, -b+ 0= 3 so b= -3, and a- 3+ 0= 2 so a= 5. The final column is [5 -3 0].

The matrix representation of T in this new basis is
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccc} -2 & 2 & 5 \\ 0 & 0 & -3 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \end{array}\right][/tex]

Your other problem says "T: R3-> R3 is given by T(a, b, c)= (a- b, a+ 2b+ c, -2a+ b- c). Find T-1(0, 1, -1)."

And now you say "I don't know how to build a 3 by 3 matrix. The only thing I can build is a single vector by substituting (0, 1, -1) for (a, b, c)" . First you don't have to find a 3 by 3 matrix to answer this question but substituting (0, 1, -1) for (a, b, c) is going the wrong way. That would be finding T(0, 1, -1) and you want T-1(0, 1, -1). In other words you want to find (a, b, c) so that T(a, b, c)= (0, 1, -1). Since T(a, b, c)= (a- b, a+ 2b+ c, -2a+ b- c)= (0, 1, -1), you have to solve the equations a- b= 0, a+ 2b+ c= 1, -2a+ b- c= -1 for a, b, and c.

However, it is not at all difficult to find the matrix representing T (in a given basis) using the method I've told you about 2 or 3 times before including other threads.

Let's use the "standard" basis (1, 0, 0), (0, 1, 0), and (0, 0, 1). T(1, 0, 0)= (1- 0, 1+2(0)+ 0, -2(1)+ 0- 0)= (1, 1, -2). The first column of the matrix representation is [1 1 2].

T(0, 1, 0)= (0- 1, 0+ 2(1)+ 0, -2(0)+ 1- 0)= (-1, 2, 1). The second column is [-1 2 1].

T(0, 1, 1)= (0- 0, 0+ 2(0)+ 1, -2(0)+ 0- 1)= (0, 1, -1). The third column is [0 1 -1].

Once you have that matrix, you could find it's inverse and multipy by the column vector [0 1 -1]. That is, of course, the same as solving the three equations above.

regarding the first question
nobody said that U1=(1,0,0)
u2=(0,1,0)
U3=(0,0,1)i get the idea that if nobody tells us what does the u1 u2 u3 actually look like
we presume that its a standart basis
?

Last edited:
u1, u2, u3 don't "look like" anything- it is just some abstract basis in some abstract vector space. They aren't necessarily even ordered sets of numbers and the is no "standard basis" in a general vector space. But saying it is a basis means that any vector can be written in the form v= au1+ bu2+ cu3 and we can identify it with the vector in R3 [a b c].

In particular, u1 written in the basis {u1, u2, u3} would be written 1u1+ 0u2+ 0u3 and represented as [1 0 0].

A general n-dimensional vector space can consist of any kind of "object" that we can add and multiply by numbers. But once we have selected a basis we can always write then as n-tuples of number, i.e. members of Rn. Once we've done that, the given basis is represented by the "standard basis in Rn".

regarding the first question
i can't understand what is the meening of the first step
in your solultion(why don't we stop there)??
why is your resolt is not in the new basis
why its still in the old basis
i think that in the beginning it was in the old basis and by the
multiplication we transformed it into a matrix in the new basis
because after the operations we got a matrix the differs in appearence
it cannot be in the old basis after this step

i added a link with it my multiplications
http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img8240fo6.jpgi found a solution to this problem in a different way, is it ok??

http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img8241wm9.jpg

regarding the second question i don't understand your interpretation of the question

i added a link with that

http://img266.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img8242yt0.jpg

thanks

can you answer these please

Related to Can You Solve These Linear Algebra Questions?

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the study of matrices, vectors, and linear transformations.

2. What are some real-world applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra is heavily used in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and data analysis. Some examples of its applications include image and signal processing, machine learning, and optimization problems.

3. What are the basic operations in linear algebra?

The basic operations in linear algebra include scalar multiplication, vector addition, and matrix multiplication. Scalar multiplication involves multiplying a vector or matrix by a constant, while vector addition involves adding two or more vectors together. Matrix multiplication involves multiplying two matrices together to produce a new matrix.

4. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of vectors and operations that can be performed on those vectors, such as addition and scalar multiplication. It is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is used to represent and solve various mathematical problems.

5. How is linear algebra related to other branches of mathematics?

Linear algebra is closely related to other branches of mathematics such as calculus, geometry, and differential equations. It provides a powerful framework for solving problems in these fields, and many concepts and techniques from linear algebra are used in these areas.