What is the use of Gram-Schmidt in linear algebra?

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary: So in summary, you could have used Gram-Schmidt to find an orthogonal basis for W, but in this case it was not necessary since you were able to find a single vector that is already perpendicular to the two given basis vectors.
Physics news on Phys.org
You found two vectors that form a basis for W, v1=(1,1,0) and v2=(-1,0,1). The questions seem to be asking for a basis of the subspace orthogonal to W (call it WP). You are correct that if you find a vector perpendicular to v1 and v2, that's a basis for the orthogonal subspace (since the whole space is three dimensional). It's already an orthogonal basis, since it's the only basis vector. To make it an orthonormal basis just find a vector pointing in the same direction of length 1.

so in what case do i use gram shmit
because i heard
it also involves in perpendicular stuff

You are given that W= {(x,y,z) in R3| x- y+ z= 0} and are asked
1) Find the (it really should be 'an') orthogonal basis for [itex]W^{\underline{|}}[/itex].
2) Find the (it really should be 'an') orthonormal basis for [itex]W^{\underline{|}}[/itex].
and you say "I don't understand the difference between the two." Well, obviously the difference is the difference between "orthogonal" and "orthonormal". I assume you know that the "orthogonal" as well as the "ortho" in "orthonormal" means "perpendicular" so the difference is in "normal" which means "normalized" or, here, of length 1. In problem 1, you are asked to find a basis in which all vectors are perpendicular (orthogonal). In problem 2, you are asked to find a basis in which all vectors are also of length 1. After you have done problem 1, problem 2 is easy- just find the length of each vector and divide it by its length.

"Gram-Schmidt" allows you to construct an orthonormal basis out of any given basis but, as Dick said, here you don't really need that. The single non-zero vector perpendicular to both (-1, 0, 1) and (1, 1, 0) already is a basis. Just find its length and divide it by its length to "normalize" it.

That is, of course,

transgalactic said:
so in what case do i use gram shmit
because i heard
it also involves in perpendicular stuff

You could have used Gram-Schmidt here if you wanted to find an orthogonal basis for W. In three dimensions you can get away with using the cross product to construct orthogonals, but there is no analog of the cross product in higher dimensions.

Related to What is the use of Gram-Schmidt in linear algebra?

Question 1: What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations using vectors and matrices. It is used to solve problems involving lines, planes, and higher dimensional spaces.

Question 2: What are the basic concepts in linear algebra?

The basic concepts in linear algebra include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, systems of linear equations, and vector spaces. These concepts are used to represent and solve problems in various fields such as physics, computer science, and engineering.

Question 3: How is linear algebra used in real life?

Linear algebra has numerous applications in real life, including image and signal processing, data compression, computer graphics, and machine learning. It is also used in economics, physics, and engineering to model and solve various problems.

Question 4: What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors in linear algebra?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are important concepts in linear algebra that are used to understand the behavior of linear transformations. Eigenvalues represent the scaling factor of the eigenvector when it is transformed by a linear transformation. They have many applications in data analysis and differential equations.

Question 5: How can I improve my understanding of linear algebra?

To improve your understanding of linear algebra, you can practice solving problems, work on real-life applications, and seek help from experts or online resources. It is also important to have a strong foundation in algebra and geometry as they are closely related to linear algebra.