Can you use induction on n cases (as opposed to infinity)?

In summary, the student is trying to figure out how to use induction in a proof where the number of sets is finite. They are confused by the deMorgan laws and the student recommends simplifying them.
bennyska

Homework Statement

this is probably a dumb question, but I'm doing this proof where i have to show two sets are equal, where each set is a union from 1 to n sets. this is pretty easy to show with induction, i think, but I'm used to using induction when i have an infinite amount of things, so I'm not sure I'm allowed to use induction. any thoughts?

specifically, it goes like this:
Suppose that A_1, ..., An are Borel sets, that is they belong to ß. Define
the following sets: B_1 = A_1, B_n = A_n ∩ (A_1∪ ... ∪ A_n-–1)^c (^c is complement), and let S equal the universal set. Show that

U_i=1 to n A_i = U_i=1 to n B_i.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

U_1 to 1 A_i = A_1 = U_1 to 1 B_i = B_1. So we have a base case. So assume it's true for n=k. Then we have that U_i=1 to k A_i = U_i=1 to k B_i.
Then we have that U_i to k B_i U B_k+1 = U_i to k A_i U (A_k+1 ∩ (A_1∪ ... ∪ A_k)^c
=U_i to k A_i U (A_k+1 ∩ A_1^c ∩ A_2^c...∩A_k^c)...
Let A_1^c ∩ A_2^c...∩A_k^c = D, and let U_i to k A_i = E
Then we have U_i to k B_i U B_k+1 = E U (A_k+1 ∩ D)
= (E U D) ∩ (E U A_k+1) = S ∩ (U_i to k A_i U A_k+1) = U_i=1 to k+1 A_i.

god that looks hideous. hopefully it makes sense. any comments would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is hideous to read. The basic idea is that E U (A_k+1 n E^c)=E U A_k+1. Right? You can certainly use induction on a finite set of premises, no problem with that. It looks ok to me. Cleaning up the presentation certainly wouldn't hurt. Using TeX wouldn't hurt either. But I think you've got one way to do it.

The purpose of induction is to show that if a statement is true for some value k, it has to be true for k+1.

It's up to you how far you want to extend your conclusion, so it's perfectly fine to use it on a finite set.

alright, sorry i was a bit lazy on the latex, i didn't think it would be that bad originally, and i haven't used latex in a while.

i've attached a pdf. how does that look?

Attachments

• borel.pdf
    69.6 KB · Views: 237
bennyska said:
alright, sorry i was a bit lazy on the latex, i didn't think it would be that bad originally, and i haven't used latex in a while.

i've attached a pdf. how does that look?

Fine. The deMorgan stuff is a little unnecessarily complicated. Just use that K U (L n K^c)=K U L. That's true, right?

I'm not sure where the "finiteness" of your question is. Also, to answer your original question, it is perfectly fine to use induction where the variable you are inducting on has finite range. It is a common technique used in real analysis. In fact, the original definition of induction imposes no restriction that the variable has to have infinite (countably infinite) range.

awesome, thanks you guys.

1. Can you explain the concept of induction?

Induction is a method of reasoning in which a conclusion is made based on a pattern observed in specific cases. It involves proving a statement to be true for all cases by showing that it is true for a specific case, and then assuming it is true for the next case in a sequence.

2. How is induction different when applied to a finite number of cases compared to an infinite number of cases?

When using induction on a finite number of cases, the conclusion can only be applied to those specific cases and cannot be generalized to all cases. Whereas, when using induction on an infinite number of cases, the conclusion can be applied to all cases within that infinite set.

3. Is induction a reliable method of reasoning?

Induction can be a reliable method of reasoning when used correctly, but it is not foolproof. It relies on the assumption that patterns observed in specific cases will continue in all cases. However, there is always a possibility that the pattern may not continue, leading to an incorrect conclusion.

4. Can induction be used in all scientific fields?

Induction can be used in many scientific fields, such as mathematics, physics, and biology. However, it may not be applicable in all cases and should be used with caution, as it is not always a reliable method of reasoning.

5. How do you determine when it is appropriate to use induction in scientific research?

The use of induction in scientific research should be determined on a case-by-case basis. It is important to carefully examine the data and consider potential limitations or exceptions before applying induction. Additionally, it may be beneficial to consult with other experts in the field to determine if induction is appropriate for the specific research question at hand.