Cancellation of Poynting vector components

In summary, the Poynting vector can cancel itself if there are two opposing sources emitting EM waves at the same frequency, resulting in a standing wave with a time-averaged Poynting vector of zero. However, it is important to differentiate between instantaneous and time-averaged Poynting vectors, and to consider the sum of fields rather than intensities in coherent interactions.
Karthiksrao
If we find the Poynting vector at a point along all possible directions possible, can the different components of the vectors cancel each other, to give a net Poynting vector along some direction?

I was wondering about this because Poynting vector after all represents energy flow. So can energy flow along different directions cancel each other ?

I suppose we can, since energy and momentum are interrelated and I can imagine momentum components canceling. I just wanted to confirm if my thought process is correct.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The question can be very misleading as stated. What I think you mean to ask is: Can the Poynting vector from one system cancel the Poynting vector from another system? (Components of a single vector cannot cancel because components are by definition independent.)

The answer is yes. If you have a source emitting an EM wave through a certain space and another source emitting another EM wave through the same space at the same frequency, but in the opposite direction, you get a standing wave. A standing wave does not travel or carry energy, so its average Poynting vector is zero. You can think of it as the Poynting vector of the one wave canceling the other. Although you have to be careful to differentiate between instantaneous Poynting vector and time-averaged. And if there is a coherent interaction of the waves, you have to sum fields, and not intensities.

Thanks for the answer.

1. What is the Poynting vector?

The Poynting vector is a mathematical quantity used to describe the flow of electromagnetic energy in a given area. It is defined as the cross product of the electric field and magnetic field vectors, and has units of watts per square meter.

2. Why would the Poynting vector components be cancelled?

The Poynting vector components may be cancelled due to the superposition of multiple electromagnetic waves. When waves with equal amplitudes but opposite directions interfere with each other, their Poynting vector components cancel out, resulting in no net flow of energy.

3. What is the significance of cancelling Poynting vector components?

Cancelling Poynting vector components can indicate that there is no net transfer of energy in a given area, which can have important implications in certain applications. For example, in wireless power transmission, cancelling Poynting vector components can help minimize energy loss during transmission.

4. Can Poynting vector components be cancelled in all situations?

No, Poynting vector components can only be cancelled in certain scenarios, such as when two equal and opposite waves interfere. In other situations, the Poynting vector components may not cancel and there will be a net flow of energy.

5. How is the cancellation of Poynting vector components related to the conservation of energy?

The cancellation of Poynting vector components is directly related to the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. When Poynting vector components are cancelled, it indicates that there is no net transfer of energy in a given area, thus conserving the total amount of energy in the system.