1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cancelling the Earths magnetic field

1. Nov 12, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A researcher would like to perform an experiment in a zero magnetic field, which means that the field of the earth must be cancelled. Suppose the experiment is done inside a solenoid of diameter 1.0{\rm m} , length 5.0{\rm m} , with a total of 9000 turns of wire. The solenoid is oriented to produce a field that opposes and exactly cancels the field of the earth.
    What current is needed in the solenoid's wires?

2. Relevant equations
    We use this for B=μ0*I*(N/L) for solenoids.
    Bearth=5E-5T
    μ0=1.257E-6
    N=9000
    L=5.0 m

3. The attempt at a solution
    I=(B*L)/μu0*N)=(5E-5*5)/(9000*5) = 0.02209=2.2E-2
    Mastering Physics says this is incorrect. What did I miss?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2012 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

The formula for I looks good. Trouble with the substitution, I think. Looks like the number for u0 didn't go in and there is an extra 5.

4. Nov 15, 2012 #3
    That was my bad. My actual equation looks like:

(5E-5*5)/(1.257E-6*9000)=0.02209 which is wrong according to Mastering physics. Doesn't like 2.2E-2 either.

5. Nov 15, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Earth's field varies greatly from place to place. Is this the value you were told to use?

6. Nov 15, 2012 #5
    I talked with the instructor and found my error -- I just needed to adjust for units the question required. I usually catch this, but not this time. Thanks for your replies anyways. It's always good to know there is a safety line!

7. Nov 15, 2012 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

OK, I did wonder about the units. In your post it says e.g. "diameter 1.0{\rm m}". LaTex problem?
    PS - I guess you mean the units the answer was required in, like mA?

8. Nov 16, 2012 #7
    Not sure what a La Tex problem is -- but you are correct on the PS

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook