1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cannon, Tree, and Recoil

1. Sep 19, 2006 #1
    Question:
    Suppose a cannon is propped against a massive tree to reduce recoil when it fires. Then the range of the cannonball will be
    a) increased
    b) decreased
    c) unchanged

My Answer:
    I am leaning (no pun intended) on a. Since the cannonball exerts a force on to the cannon, it recoils. However, if there is a massive tree blocking the recoil, the tree should push against the cannon which then in turn should exert even more force onto the cannonball...

My logic may be a little skewed. Please correct me if I am wrong!

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your inclination is correct. However, a technically correct argument would mention the conservation of momentum.

4. Sep 19, 2006 #3

andrevdh

Homework Helper

One could envisage a sort of cartoon situation where the cannon is very light and the cannon ball very heavy. On firing the cannon we find that the ball stays stationary and the cannon itself becomes the projectile.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?