How High Does the Cannonball Fly and What Are Its Final Velocity Components?

• Thread starter lalahelp
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a cannonball being launched at a castle with a velocity of 34 m/s at an angle of 55°. The maximum height reached by the cannonball is 47.56 m and the x- and y-components of its velocity just before it lands can be found using equations for projectile motion. The equation for maximum height is Yf=Yo+Voy*t+1/2gt^2 and the equation for velocity in the y-direction is Vf=Vo+at, where Voy=34sin55=27.85 m/s. The time for maximum height is 2.8 seconds. To find the x- and y-components of the velocity, the equations for x and y motion
lalahelp
1. Homework Statement :A cannonball is catapulted toward a castle. The cannonball's velocity when it leaves the catapult is 34 m/s at an angle of 55° with respect to the horizontal and the cannonball is 8.0 m above the ground at this time.
(a) What is the maximum height above the ground reached by the cannonball?

(c) What are the x- and y-components of the cannonball's velocity just before it lands? The y-axis points up.

Homework Equations

Maximum height = Yf=Yo+Voy*t+1/2gt^2
Voy=34sin55=27.85 m/s
Vf=Vo+at=0=27.85-9.8t t=2.8s
Maximum height= 47.56 m
How do I find the x and y components? what equations do I need?

Physics news on Phys.org
You only have a handful of equations for projectile motion. What other ones do you have?

Are we on to part (c) now? Well, you've already got the equation for y as a function of t. From this you can get t. Then you can use t in the velocity equations.

There are no forces in the x-direction, so what will the equation for x component of velocity be? And for y-direction, there is constant force, which you already have the equation for.

Could you explain why my maximum height is wrong please?

I don't know that equations for part see...

Oh, yeah. Your max height is wrong, I didn't see that.

Well, your time for maximum height (2.8s) is correct. So you just need to put this into your equation for the height to get the maximum height.

The last term in the equation for yf should have a negative sign in front of it, which you apparently used in your calculations. If you're entering the answer into the computer and it's marking it as wrong, you're probably entering it incorrectly. Perhaps you left the units off or you're using the wrong number of significant figures.

lalahelp said:
I don't know that equations for part see...
Well, what are the equations you have for projectile motion? Surely, you can find them in your book and tell us what they are. Then we can help you figure out which ones are the best to use.

What is a cannonball?

A cannonball is a heavy metal ball used as ammunition for a cannon or catapult.

What does it mean to be catapulted?

To be catapulted means to be thrown or launched with great force, often by a machine or device.

How does a catapult launch a cannonball?

A catapult uses stored tension or energy to rapidly release a throwing arm, which propels the cannonball forward with a great amount of force and speed.

What factors affect the distance a cannonball is catapulted?

The distance a cannonball is catapulted depends on the angle of the catapult, the amount of force used to launch it, the weight of the cannonball, and air resistance.

What are some real-world applications of catapulting a cannonball?

Catapulting a cannonball has been historically used as a military tactic for attacking castles and fortresses. In modern times, catapults are used in amusement parks for rides and in competitions such as pumpkin chucking.