1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cannot finish calculating a double integral with change of coordinates

1. Oct 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Integrate:

[tex] \displaystyle f\left( x,y \right)=\frac{{{x}^{2}}}{{{x}^{2}}+{{y}^{2}}}[/tex]

on the region:
    [tex] \displaystyle D=\left\{ \left( x,y \right)\in {{\mathbb{R}}^{2}}:0\le x\le 1,{{x}^{2}}\le y\le 2-{{x}^{2}} \right\}[/tex]

TIP: Use change of coordinates:

[tex] \displaystyle x=\sqrt{v-u}[/tex]
    [tex] \displaystyle y=v+u[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Alright, what I did was to sketch the two regions. After that I calculated the jacobian of the change of coordinates function:

[tex] \displaystyle g\left( u,v \right)=\left( \sqrt{v-u},v+u \right)[/tex]

[tex] \displaystyle \left| Jg \right|=\frac{1}{\sqrt{v-u}}[/tex]

So the new integral becomes

[tex] \displaystyle \int\limits_{0}^{1}{\int\limits_{u}^{1}{\frac{v-u}{v-u+{{\left( u+v \right)}^{2}}}\cdot \frac{1}{\sqrt{v-u}}dv}du}=\int\limits_{0}^{1}{\int\limits_{u}^{1}{\frac{\sqrt{v-u}}{v-u+{{\left( u+v \right)}^{2}}}dv}du}[/tex]

And here I'm stuck. I don't know how to continue. I don't like the integrand. Any help?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that integrand is a mess.

Your work all looks to be correct.

Are you sure your function is correct? [itex] \displaystyle \ f\left( x,y \right)=\frac{{{x}^{2}}}{{{x}^{2}}+{{y}}}[/itex] would work out much more nicely.

4. Oct 30, 2012 #3
    Yes, I'm sure. It's [tex] \displaystyle f\left( x,y \right)=\frac{{{x}^{2}}}{{{x}^{2}}+{{y}^{2}}}[/tex] and they suggest that change of coordinates.

5. Oct 30, 2012 #4
    Suppose now you were given just that integral over that triangle you're integrating over. Can you make a change of variable to make it easier to integrate? What about now just:

[tex]w=v-u[/tex]
    [tex]z=u+v[/tex]

No guarantees though ok. You gotta' just try it to get use to doing that if you're going to get good in math. :)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook