How can I rearrange the equation x = y(1-z)/π√z to solve for z?

• Thread starter totty3478
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around a person returning to education after 15 years and struggling with basic math, specifically an equation involving pi and square roots. They were looking for help rearranging the equation to solve for z, and the solution involved substituting z'=\sqrt{z} and using the quadratic formula.
totty3478
Hi,

I have recently returned to education after 15 years out and I am finding that it is my basic maths that causes me the most problems. I have the following equation

x = y (1-z)/ [tex]\pi[/tex] [tex]\sqrt{}z[/tex]

so you know, that's pi multiplied by root z.

and I can't solve for z, can someone rearrange this equation for me.

thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you mean
[tex]x= \ffrac{y(1-z)}{\pi\sqrt{z}}[/itex]?
That would be the same as [itex]\pi x\sqrt{z}= y- yz[/itex] or [itex]yz+ \pi x\sqrt{z}- y= 0[itex].

Let [itex]u= \sqrt{z}[/itex] so that [itex]u^2= z[/itex]. Then the equation becomes [itex]yu^2+ \pi xu+ y= 0[/itex], a quadratic equation for u. That can be solved using the quadratic formula and then square u to find z.

To me that kind of looked like:

[tex] x = \frac{y(1-z)}{\sqrt[\pi]{z}} [/tex]

But it could be anything.

sorry I will try again, the equation should be

[tex]
x = \frac{y(1-z)}{\pi\sqrt{z}}
[/tex]

then solve for z

thanks

Last edited:
substitute [tex]z'=\sqrt{z}[/tex] and you get a quadratic eq.. Then multiply both sides by [itex]\pi z'[/itex]

Thanks guys, I got the answer i was looking for after I made it into a quadratic.

Thanks for your help

1. What is the meaning of x, y, and z in the equation?

In this equation, x, y, and z are variables. X is the unknown value that we are trying to solve for, while y and z are known values that are used in the equation.

2. How do I solve for x in this equation?

To solve for x, you will need to use basic algebraic principles such as distributing, combining like terms, and isolating the variable on one side of the equation. You may also need to use the rules of exponents and square roots.

3. Can this equation be solved without knowing the value of π?

Yes, it is possible to solve this equation without knowing the exact value of π. You can use an approximation of π, such as 3.14, or leave π in your final answer as an exact value.

4. Are there any special cases or restrictions for solving this equation?

Yes, there are a few restrictions to keep in mind when solving this equation. The value of z cannot be equal to 0, as this would result in division by 0. Additionally, the value of y cannot be equal to 0, as this would result in an undefined answer.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve this equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve for x in this equation. However, it is important to make sure you are using the correct order of operations and inputting the equation correctly into the calculator. It is also useful to double check your answer by plugging it back into the equation to ensure it is correct.