1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Canonical question

1. Jan 5, 2009 #1
    got stucked on this question but had a pritty good bash at it and might possibly be getting close to the answer

right so the question in full is let A={(1,2,1),(2,4,2),(3,6,3)}

find r and real invertible matrices Q and P such that Q-1AP={(Ir,0)(0,0)
    where each zero denotes a matrix of zeros (not nessessarily the same size in each case)

Paying special attension to write down the bases of r3 with respect to which Q-1AP represents the mapping x->Ax

right now i've started off by row and column reducing A to get {(1,0,0)(0,0,0)(0,0,0)}
    and then by applying the row and column opperations to the 3x3 and 3x3 respectivly Identity matrices i ended up with Q-1={(1,0,0)(-2,1,0)(-3,0,1)} Q={(1,0,0)(1/2,1,0)(1-3,0,1)} and finaly p={(1,-2,-1)(0,1,0)(0,0,1) which did indeed satisfy the equation Q-1AP=I1

now the next part of the question i didn't/don't really understand "Paying special attension to write down the bases of r3 with respect to which Q-1AP represents the mapping x->Ax"

however i looked at what i beleive to be a similar question on my past homework questions (this question is from a previous exam paper so i don't have answers) and came to the conclusion (not sure if this is right or not this is my question to you really) that i was being asked to find a basis for my matrix A and then a basis for my canonical so this would just be {(1,2,1)} and {(1,0,0)} respectivly? i'm pritty sure this is wrong as it just seems too easy althought i beleive i am on the right lines, could someone please elaberate on my findings. thanks
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2009 #2
    posted on wrong post sorry
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  4. Jan 7, 2009 #3
    thought i had a reply there, guessing no one has replied since terry posted and you all thought he had offered a solution, o well, anyone?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?