Calculating Z Component of Velocity on Earth's Surface | Tips & Examples

• Thread starter Wizardsblade
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, the conversation is about finding the Z component of velocity for an object on Earth's surface after a given time. The problem is defined in terms of a coordinate system and the goal is to find the x and z components at any given time. The conversation also discusses the use of basis vectors in a fixed frame of reference and the corresponding unit vectors in the radial and azimuthal directions. A calculation is presented to find the z component of velocity, but the speaker is unsure if it is correct. Finally, it is mentioned that the x direction corresponds to the azimuthal direction and the corresponding unit vector is provided.
Wizardsblade
Hey, I was trying doing some calculations and ran across a question I just can’t figure out. Hopefully I explain this well.
I am trying to find the Z component of velocity of an object on earth’s surface after a given time. For example a rock lies on the ground with a tangential velocity of ~450m/s (I believe). 1 second later it will be going v1 speed in the negative z direction and v2 speed in the x direction. I believe v1^2+v2^2=450^2 but I really don't know where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Define your coordinate system and state the problem a little more carefully. At it stands it is unclear.

At time = 0 the z axis is up and down and the x-axis is forward and backward in the direction of Earth's rotation, i.e. looking at the Earth form above the earth. What I am trying to figure out is the x and z components at any give time. For example at time = 6 hours the x component will be 0 and the z component will be -450m/s, at time = 12 hours z=0 and x=-450m/s.

Wait I think I figured out a way. I did this: t=1s so I figured the number of seconds in a day (24*60*60=86400) and divided 360 degrees by 86400 and got .0041. Then I took the sin of .0041 and multiplied by 450m/s. So I got 7.2x10^-5m/s. Is this correct for the z component?

Unless you're standing at the equator you're going to need three basis vectors in the fixed frame of reference to describe those vectors.

What you are calling z corresponds to the radial coordinate in a spherical coordinate system so that a unit vector in the direction is given by

[tex]\hat r = \sin \theta \cos \phi \hat i + \sin \theta \sin \phi \hat j + \cos \theta \hat k[/tex]

With the simple rotation you've defined simply replace [itex]\phi[/itex] with [itex]\omega t[/itex]. Also, what you are calling the x direction corresponds to a vector in the azimuthal direction ([itex]\phi[/itex]) and the corresponding unit vector is given by

[tex]\hat \phi = -\sin \phi \hat i + \cos \phi \hat j[/tex]

1. Why am I struggling with math?

There could be a variety of reasons why you are struggling with math. It could be due to a lack of understanding of basic concepts, a fear or negative attitude towards math, or a lack of practice and study. It is important to identify the specific areas you are struggling with and seek help from a teacher or tutor.

2. How can I improve my math skills?

Improving your math skills takes time and practice. Start by reviewing and understanding the basic concepts and building a strong foundation. Then, practice regularly and seek help from a teacher or tutor when needed. Also, try to find ways to make math more enjoyable and engaging, such as using real-life examples or incorporating technology.

3. What resources are available to help me with math?

There are many resources available to help with math, such as textbooks, online tutorials, tutoring services, and educational apps. Your school or local library may also have resources and study materials for math. Additionally, your teacher or professor can provide extra help or recommend resources to assist with your specific needs.

4. Is it normal to struggle with math?

Yes, it is completely normal to struggle with math. Some people may have a natural aptitude for math, while others may need to work harder and use different learning strategies. It is important to not get discouraged and keep practicing and seeking help when needed.

5. How can I overcome my fear of math?

Fear of math is a common issue for many students. One way to overcome this fear is to change your attitude towards math and view it as a challenge rather than something to be afraid of. Additionally, practice regularly and seek help when needed to build confidence in your math abilities. You can also try using different learning strategies and finding ways to make math more enjoyable and relatable to your interests.