Cant seem to get the answer right (E&M HW)

• Thread starter cronxeh
  • Start date
In summary: The formula for surface charge density is sigma = Q/A, where Q is the net charge on the surface and A is the area of the surface. In this case, A = 4*pi*r^2, where r is the radius of the outer surface. So the correct formula is sigma = (Q+q)/4*pi*r^2.
cronxeh
Gold Member
The charge per unit length on a long, straight filament is -95.0 µC/m.

(a) Find the electric field 10.0 cm from the filament. Distances are measured perpendicular to the length of the filament. (Take radially inward toward the filament as the positive direction.)
My answer: 1.07 MN/C

(b) Find the electric field 29.0 cm from the filament.
My answer: 3.11 MN/C

(c) Find the electric field 120 cm from the filament.
My answer: 12.9 MN/C

Formula: 4*pi*8.99*10^9*distance*(-95*10^-6)

On the side of caution I've used both + and - aforementioned answers and both seem wrong. Am I missing something here?
I thought http://physics.villanova.edu/faculty/shaw/2402/extprob/m1224.gif ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also one more problem

A conducting spherical shell of inner radius of a and outer radius b carries a net charge Q. A point charge q is placed at the center of this shell.

(a) Determine the surface charge density on the inner surface of the shell. (Use Q, q, a, and b as necessary.)

My answer: -q/(4*pi*a^2)
(This is correct)

(b) Determine the surface charge density on the outer surface of the shell.
My answer: (Q+q)/(4*pi*r^2)
(This is marked wrong!)

Whats wrong about this answer? The WebAssign seems to think (Q+q)/(4*pi*r^2) and (Q+q)/(4*pi*a^2) for (b) are both wrong

i don't understand how you get your formula. i get
E=(-95*10^-6)/2*pi*R*ε0, as in formula in the image you gave link to.

cronxeh said:
A conducting spherical shell of inner radius of a and outer radius b carries a net charge Q. A point charge q is placed at the center of this shell.

(b) Determine the surface charge density on the outer surface of the shell.
My answer: (Q+q)/(4*pi*r^2)
(This is marked wrong!)

Whats wrong about this answer? The WebAssign seems to think (Q+q)/(4*pi*r^2) and (Q+q)/(4*pi*a^2) for (b) are both wrong
The radius of the outer surface is ?.

1. Why am I struggling to get the correct answer for my E&M homework?

There could be a variety of reasons why you may be having difficulty with your E&M homework. Some possible reasons could include not fully understanding the concepts, not following the correct steps or equations, or simply making careless mistakes. It may also be helpful to seek additional resources or assistance from your professor or a tutor.

2. How can I improve my understanding of E&M concepts?

To improve your understanding of E&M concepts, it may be helpful to review your class notes and textbook, participate in class discussions and activities, and practice solving problems. You can also seek out online resources or attend study groups to gain more insight and clarification on difficult topics.

3. Is it normal to struggle with E&M homework?

Yes, it is completely normal to struggle with E&M homework. E&M is a complex subject that requires a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. It may take time and practice to fully grasp the concepts and equations involved in E&M.

4. How can I avoid making mistakes on my E&M homework?

To avoid making mistakes on your E&M homework, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it. It may also be helpful to double-check your work and use multiple methods to solve the problem to ensure accuracy. Additionally, seek out resources or assistance if you are unsure about a certain concept or step in the problem.

5. What resources can I use to help me with my E&M homework?

There are many resources available to help you with your E&M homework. Your professor or teaching assistant may offer office hours or study sessions. You can also use online resources such as textbooks, videos, and practice problems to supplement your learning. Additionally, forming a study group with classmates can also be beneficial for understanding and solving E&M problems.