Solving Cantilever Problem with Axial Load & Bending Moment

• Thread starter Tino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cantilever
In summary: XIn summary, the conversation discusses a cantilever problem involving axial load and bending moment. The person is looking for help understanding what equations to use to calculate the maximum stress on the cantilever. The equations σ = P/A and M = F*d are recommended, along with the principle of superposition to find the total stress.
Tino
Hello,

Well, I am working on this home problem I have, but I am struggling.
The lecture has told us that the problem involves both Axial load and Bending moment.
But I don't know what equations I need to use to calculate this.
I am trying to find out the maximum stress on this cantilever problem.
Below is half of the model, but it is symmetric, so the other half would be the same.
This plate is restrainted by Pin A, and on the other symmetric plate Pin B (in the same location as Pin A) the pin passes through but the plate is allow to move horizontally.
A Load 400N is applied at Pin A horizontally.
The O is an actual hole, there's four holes altogether in the plate.

The dimensions of the whole plate I have got, just want to understand what equations to use.
The # are just empty space, pin A and the holes are aligned in the center.
-------------
'#########'
'####.A###'
'#########'
'#########'
'#########' ----------------------------'
'############################# '
'####O#######O################ '
'############################# '
'------------------------------------------'

Thanks For Your Help

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. It sounds like you are working on a cantilever problem that involves both axial load and bending moment. In order to calculate the maximum stress on the cantilever, you will need to use equations that take into account both of these factors.

For the axial load, you can use the equation σ = P/A, where σ is the stress, P is the applied load, and A is the cross-sectional area of the cantilever. This will give you the stress caused by the axial load alone.

To calculate the bending moment, you will need to use the equation M = F*d, where M is the bending moment, F is the applied force, and d is the distance from the applied force to the point where you are calculating the stress. This will give you the bending moment caused by the applied load.

Once you have calculated both the axial stress and bending stress, you can use the principle of superposition to add them together and get the total stress on the cantilever. Keep in mind that the maximum stress will occur at the point where the axial stress and bending stress are both at their highest values.

I hope this helps you with your problem. If you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your project!

Scientist

1. What is a cantilever problem?

A cantilever problem is a type of engineering problem where a beam or structure is fixed at one end and free at the other, and is subjected to an axial load (force acting along the length of the beam) and a bending moment (force that causes the beam to bend).

2. How do you solve a cantilever problem with axial load and bending moment?

To solve a cantilever problem with axial load and bending moment, you will need to use equations from mechanics and structural analysis, such as the Euler-Bernoulli beam theory. You will also need to consider the properties of the beam, such as its length, cross-sectional area, and material strength. By applying these equations and taking into account the given load and moment values, you can determine the deflection, stress, and other important parameters of the beam.

3. What are the main challenges in solving a cantilever problem with axial load and bending moment?

The main challenges in solving a cantilever problem with axial load and bending moment include accurately determining the load and moment values, considering the beam's material properties, and applying the appropriate equations and theories for the given problem. Additionally, the assumptions made in the analysis, such as the beam's behavior and boundary conditions, can also impact the accuracy of the solution.

4. How can I ensure the accuracy of my solution to a cantilever problem with axial load and bending moment?

To ensure the accuracy of your solution, it is important to carefully review the given problem and all of its parameters. You should also double-check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct equations and theories. It is also helpful to check your solution against known values or use computer-aided analysis tools to verify your results.

5. What are some practical applications of solving cantilever problems with axial load and bending moment?

Solving cantilever problems with axial load and bending moment is important in many engineering fields, such as civil engineering, mechanical engineering, and aerospace engineering. It can be used to design and analyze various structures, such as bridges, buildings, and aircraft wings, to ensure they can withstand the expected loads and moments without failure.